[B] Come on! (Cave/Echo/Flawed/FB) (gaia transfer) [FIN]

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Lirilei
Herald
Herald
Pebbles: 7,015.28 Pebbles

Forum

[B] Come on! (Cave/Echo/Flawed/FB) (gaia transfer) [FIN]

Post by Lirilei »

Flawed had been spending a little more time than normal within the cave, mostly because Echo had been spending more time within the cave, and that was okay with him. He still wasn't used to being around so many others, even if he had been there for a bit of time by then. He still sometimes expected to be sent on his way, so to take these moments to just be curled up close to the doe that had welcomed him in so easily, was a soothing balm on his easily frayed nerves.

At the moment, he had just barely woken up from a bit of a nap, and was gently nuzzling at the doe he was curled up to, not ready to move from this warm, cozy spot at this point in time. Nope, here was good.

----

Now was not the time to sleep, unlike what his twin and her mate clearly thought.

"Hey," Cave Yell quietly said. "I don't know what time you think it is, but it is very clearly not evening yet, and I've got something I think we should all pack up and do."

Echo hummed at the sound of someone talking, hoping the affirmative sound would have them get on with the shutting-up and either the cuddling or the leaving-her-alone.

"You probably don't want me wading in like I am right now. I'll get you all wet." this was responded to with another soft, idle hum.

----

Flawed groaned a little, and raised his head from where it was resting along Echo's back to look up at her brother, and huffed a little.

"Maybe not, but Echo wanted to nap, and a nap sounded like a good plan, so here we are. Napping. You should lay down and nap too, or something." he yawned a little and stretched some, knowing that going back to sleep, with an obviously anxious to be out and about Cave Yell hovering, wasn't about to happen.

----

Well, they very clearly hadn't picked up on his warnings. Their loss! "I'll take you up on that 'something'," he said, a little impishly, as he moved to step in between them, cold and sopping wet as he was. 'Cho shifted uncomfortably, making soft noises of protest, but didn't rouse herself– so Cave Yell took things to an altogether more drastic measure.

He started to shake the cold, brackish water out of his pelt.

This elicited a yelp, and a sputter.

----

Flawed yelped at the sudden water all over him and Echo and he scrambled to his feet, and lightly butted at the other buck with a sigh. "Why'd you go and do that? I was cozy." he sighed a little and looked to Echo.

"Guess that's our clue to stop lazing about though hm?" a soft note from him as he bent to nuzzle lightly at her neck, before looking back at Cave, and shaking off the water the other had so nicely shared with them. "What is this thing you think we should all do, hm?"

----

Cave Yell was quick to reward Flawed's movement by leaning in to nuzzle, and help get his fringe of mane back to rights. "Suffice it to say that Lazy here has been sleeping and eating much more regularly as of late," Cave Yell pointed out. It wasn't that Echo was eating noticeably more, or sleeping noticeably more, but rather that she did both so sporadically usually that the regularity in her schedule was implying something more.

"Which means either she knows something she hasn't told us yet, or she's mentally gearing up for some little consequences."

'Cho sighed, shaking her head and moving to paw at an ear with a hoof until the water that had landed just-so to make it feel plugged finally came loose. "I do wish you'd stop talking about me like I wasn't here, you know," she said, to which he immediately responded.

----

Flawed let Cave Yell smooth his mane back down, even as it made him sort of half paw at the ground with his hoof in shyness, but it was a good sort of shy really. These little things, did little wonders for his heart and all.

Though listening to the other buck his head swiveled back and forth between him, and the doe, and back again, their words rolling around in his head and trying to crash together to make some semblance of sense. It took a moment longer before he was spluttering a little.

"You're pregnant?" the words a surprised gasp, but he was stepping closer to her, and he nuzzled lightly at the ear she'd been fussing at, licking it lightly. "Or you think you are, anyhow?" a soft, hopeful note from him. "Not obligation... but desire to stay and do...whatever I can. If you'll let me, anyhow. I mean... you don't have to let me, or want me to...and I can go, really..."

After all, he hadn't stayed around long after everything the first time he'd been involved in something like this, it hadn't been wanted, so he was already mentally gearing up to be sent on his way, and his head dropped a little, as he exhaled some. "I'll be on my way, so I'm not taking up soon to be valuable room in here." oh how disappointed he sounded, he'd been happy here, and the idea of seeing how the little ones he and Echo would have together, was an exciting prospect but... well he wasn't really needed, was he?

----

"Hold up there, bucko." That was two voices, and two bodies, coming to block his way. "Last I checked, there wasn't a famine," Cave Yell started.

"No, things certainly seem to be blossoming in full around here," Cave Yell responded.

"I want you around." "You want him? How selfish, sister." "Fine. Do you want to say it, or shall I?" "It was your mistake, it's your job to correct it."

"We want you here." She leaned in to nose under the skittish buck's jaw. "More than you'd believe."

"Whether there's foals or not," Cave Yell added. "And speaking of foals, I'm taking you both out to speak to a stag about foaling."

A startled huff from Echo. "Wouldn't that usually be our prerogative?" she demanded. He retorted immediately.

"Do you think he would have even asked before spiriting off, had he found out before you told him? I'd be the one trekking through the MotherFather's own blessed swamp looking for him because you wanted to play it cool instead of assuring him that if anything happened that you'd be delighted to share in it with him."

A huff. "It happens when it happens. Thinking about it in advance makes the whole process so much more... ugh. I don't have to justify this to you." She leaned in a little more firmly against him. "I like you. I'm... you couldn't do much of anything to change that, and you will always be welcome here."

----

He hadn't expected to be blocked by either of them, let along both of them and it caught him by surprise. So much so, it took a few seconds to digest just what it was they were saying.

They both wanted him....and there? He ducked his head just a tiny bit even as she leaned in to nose at him, and he responded in kind by nuzzling at her ear again lightly.

Though Cave's words embarrassed him a little, and there was a soft "I wouldn't have just left...I would have asked if I could do something, anything to help before going... even doing my best to get a blessing...you know something useful for once." he trailed off lamely at this point as he lightly nosed at the bucks neck.

"Uhm...but thank you...both of you. Really I just....I never...." he'd never belonged somewhere before, so it was hard to put his feelings into proper words at this point. So, soft display of affection would have to suffice for the time being.

"I guess, lead the way?" he looked back to Echo a moment, a  soft smile playing over his lips. "I'll do my best to help out with little ones though. It'll be a first for me."

----

"I trust you now that you said that– but you never really indicated that you'd say something before you left. And you've been plenty useful here– your worth isn't offset by some sort of food debt here, not when it grows like crazy everywhere." There were many benefits to living above this little brackish paradise that they did– the soil itself was fertile from the dragons' activity, the water was constantly teeming, and the parasites were very quickly converted from those who ate to those who were eaten when one had a dragon to shadow them.

He didn't respond to Flawed's thanks, not quite certain how to go about responding to such fervent, undeserved praise. He'd think on it, and respond to that later, when he had something that addressed the root of it, as well as rewarding the kind intent.

He started moving at Flawed's behest, turning his head slightly so he could watch him in the corner of one eye as he moved forward. "Don't you worry a hair on your pretty little head about helping out– it comes naturally. I mean, it's a first of sorts for her, too."

"And just what do you mean by that?" she retorted, her voice soaring back up in pitch.

Cavi chuckled. She was too easy to rile up when she was like this! "Only that this is the first time you've let someone other than that agoraphobic bird-buck get at you often enough for there to be ostensible results, and therefore the first time you'll have had a chance to have the sire acting as a father instead of just me."

The doe huffed. "It's not my fault you scare them all off– and I've never asked him." Not that she was especially certain that Anger would be the staying sort. It ached to think of, but no number of clutches would ever change that.

"Oh, so I'm the one who scares them?" the buck responded, starting to tread the water at the cliffside entrance.

She didn't respond. Cave Yell got the message much more loudly and clearly than if she'd snapped at him.

----

"I uhm...oh...I guess I never did..." he ducked his head with a sheepish note. He knew not being used to this sort of thing would only carry him so far by way of explanation for his lack of social finesse and all, but it was the unfortunate truth. He just wasn't used to proper conventions and all, including the whole saying if he'd stay, or go... or come back even. He made a note in his mind, to be sure to do just that.

He couldn't help the quiet laugh as he listened to them, shaking his head in quiet amusement, but not adding anything of his own to that! He knew better than to get between the two just then.

Instead he followed them both into the water, having grown used to the watery way in and out of the cave after a couple of times doing it.

----

Cave Yell smiled, and turned about to nudge at Flawed's haunch once they came up to land. "Hey, it's all right. It's not something that comes up too often in general company– kin generally get concerned when people start talking about exit strategies, and tend to read context into it that wasn't intended.

"Truth is, we've been tiptoeing around some things with you, because you've pretty obviously got some stresses and fears that we didn't want to step on– we like you, we want you staying with us to be as enjoyable for you as possible– but we can work on you with those, and get you armed and hopefully also comfortable with some new knowledge."

'Cho nodded her assent. Something to help distract from what may or may not be happening... that sounded like a good idea. "You'll have to forgive us if we go over some really, painfully obvious things, or other things you've picked up already, in the interest of thoroughness." He worked his way up one of the twisting paths at the cliffs, leading away from the caves and orchards and on the one path that led out of this clifftop haven and to the  rest of the swamp.

"I asked him to wait at the clearing a little south of here, so we shouldn't be far now..." maybe, if the stag heard them, he'd even come to meet him! Supposing he hadn't done something tricky like shadow him all the way to the den and back.

----

Fish Bones had not shadowed the buck, but he cautiously approach when he heard them talking. Coming close enough to be seen, but not so close as to intrude on the conversation, which sounded rather personal in nature.

He smiled kindly at the trio, nodding in greeting. A rather unique situation, he'd never been asked by a non-parent to do a blessing. Much less brought all this way to meet the parents. He did not mind one bit though, in fact it warmed his heart when kin did such things for those they care about.

"Good morning. Your brother has requested my services, if you'd like them?" a bit odd perhaps, but regardless of Cave Yell's wants, if either parent rejected the offer Fish Bones would respect that. And even if neither did, he wanted it understood the choice is theirs to make.
Last edited by Lirilei on Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 2361
Lirilei
Herald
Herald
Pebbles: 7,015.28 Pebbles

Forum

Re: [B] Come on! (Cave/Echo/Flawed/FB) (gaia transfer)

Post by Lirilei »

"It makes sense when you put it that way." well it did. "I'm sure you've both realized by now I'm not....used to being welcomed and accepted places. I'm usually on my own..." so there were a great many social faux pas he could and would commit in the end.

"It sounds like...once all is said and done, we should maybe all talk or something yeah?" well it did seem like the best for things to continue and smoothly in the end.

Flawed gave a soft chuckle at Echo's words. "It's okay, it might not be a bad idea, because what might be really obvious to the two of you, might not be to me, or the other way around." well it was a possibility.

As they came into the clearing he paused then, standing beside Echo, and he listened to the stag talking, before he nuzzled lightly at her neck a moment before speaking in soft tones. "We would yes. Cave Yell went out of his way to track you down, I would hate for you to have come all this way for nothing." he looked to her again, waiting for her ascent.

----

Echo shifted, looking thoroughly uncomfortable. "I mean– if I wouldn't allow it, I wouldn't have left the cave. Besides, isn't one parent's consent enough to go with and start this process?" From everything she'd heard, at least, it was. Ugh, she hated this feeling of anxiety that was welling up in the back of her belly, too far to help or reach or swallow.

Cave Yell didn't say anything, merely watched her pace, feeling clearly uncomfortable by how uncharacteristically she was acting. This was supposed to help! This wasn't bad, or scary– not like the one time her left foreleg's knee had come out of place and they'd had to wait for somekin who knew how to relocate it finally arrived to help.

With the feeling of anxiety only growing, and the dread coming fast alongside, she started to fidget. "I'm gonna go for a walk. You do this thing." Her exit was far less of a walk, and much more of a canter.

"This... this here's part of why I wanted your help and your blessing for them," Cave Yell admitted to the pale green legendary.

----

Fish Bones nods at Echo's statement. Giving a slight frown at her question, he didn't have all the answers, so he's got no idea what would happen if only one parent wanted a blessing. It's entirely possible Matope would listen to his request anyway. But also, possible that She wouldn't.

He opens his mouth to reply, just as Echo walks off. Closing his mouth, Fish Bones wonders if this is her first clutch, despite her knowledge of blessings. Or maybe there's other reasons they are worried? Are they expecting trouble? Or maybe Echo isn't even pregnant yet and is irritated at her twin's over preparedness.

Whatever the case, he realizes he should speak now before his silence is interpreted as a bad omen. "Just nerves more than likely. Parenthood at all stages is stressful business." he replies to Cave Yell's comment. Just to make sure, though, he defaults to his typical blessing. "May her children be healthy and happy."

----

Ugh. Cave Yell wanted to speak up, to chastise the stag for clearly not listening to what had just transpired, nor having asked for further details before deciding what the problem was for himself.

"I think it goes a bit beyond that, thanks." he replied, more than a little upset.

"If that's all you've got, you can go now. I've got a sister to find." He turned and started off on his own.

----

Flawed frowned at Cave's reaction to the stag, and he pawed the ground lightly in anxiousness. This wasn't at all going how it should have and it was leaving him uncomfortable and yet...

He stepped forward as Cave Yell took off to go find Echo and sighed softly as he stopped in front of the stag and gave a small dip of his head. "What Cave Yell was trying to say is, thank you for that blessing as it is appreciated but I think not what he was hoping you could impart upon her as a blessing. Maybe something to soothe her obviously agitated nerves, or something. But, happy and healthy is very much appreciated."

He turned to look at the buck that had walked off in search of the doe. He was actually at the end of his normally long vine of patience as far as things went, but this? This was unacceptable to him!

Can't believe she just walked off, and Cave! I can't believe he'd be so rude. words rolling around mentally a moment, just full of absolute disbelief, before he looked away from where the buck had disappeared off to, and was turning back to Fish Bones. "I'm really, really sorry for the behavior of the two of them. I...don't know what got into either of them honestly, please forgive them."

"Thank you for bringing us out here for this, even if it ended sort of disastrously." he sighed then, the spark of fire he'd felt extinguishing as quickly as it had flared, and he breathed out quietly.

----

Fish Bones wasn't at all upset with Cave Yell, he should have asked. Instead he'd been too cautious, worried he might prickle already strained nerves. A lesson learned. "Thank you, but your friend is right." he says to Flawed, turning to the buck and giving a timid half-smile in thanks for the buck jumping in.

"So then, what is the issue? The blessing itself is for the children, as far as I've seen. But I may have some wisdom for her, if you'd want it." he offers, turning back to Cave Yell, only to see the buck had made good on his words and left.

With a sigh he turns back to Flawed. "I can stay if you'd like? I don't know what the issue is, or even if I can help. But if it would put your mind at ease to have one of Her chosen around, I'd be happy to stay." he offers.

----

Flawed gave Fish Bones a wry smile, and gave a nod of his head.

"If you wouldn't mind? Though hopefully it doesn't take him long to find her... I could go and help but I'd feel bad just leaving you here waiting and wondering if anyone is coming back. At least with me here...I figure at least one of them will come back before long."

If not well he did know the way back after all, but who knew at this point. "If neither of them come back in a little bit I guess I'll go see if I can find them." this was definitely awkward now for him.

----

"Waiting to fix my own mistake is no problem. And would be a good time to reflect on the lesson I've learned form it. If you want to go look for her too, don't feel obligated to stay with me. I'll be fine, and won't wander off." he answers, feeling less awkward and more ashamed. He'd assumed he knew best, and instead of helping he'd made things even worse.

----

Echo was nowhere to be found, and that meant that when Cave Yell had had to make a turn, he'd chosen the wrong direction. He turned around, starting to move past the clearing, and saw the two bucks he'd left still standing there.

Two options: either go after Echo, who might not want to be found, or approach them, and risk reproach and the unwanted burden of having to apologize.

It was obvious which was the right decision, even if he wanted to take the easy out, and even if he could argue why he'd taken it.

"I'm still upset that you didn't listen and just tried to go ahead with what you thought would fix the situation–" the buck started, perhaps a little harshly– "but I was an ass in how I handled my response. I'd like to apologize for that, at least." He held back, still half-on the pathway out of the clearing, ready to cut his losses and look for his twin if either of them showed him hostility for his prior actions, or his present apology.

----

Flawed gave a nod of his head at Fish Bones words. "Alright, I'll see if I can find her, them...him. Someone." whomever, really. Someone, he hoped. It was easy to get turned around he knew.

He stopped though when he heard Cave speaking, and the upset he'd felt moments before at the others behavior evaporated, as he just didn't have it in him to hold onto such anger and such.

"Want me to help you look for her?" well, he might not!

----

Fish Bones nods at Cave Yell, "You're right, I should have listened. I'd like to fix this, if it's possible." he says.

----

Cave Yell sighed, looking a little deflated– it looked like he had two people to fill in, now.

"She's done this before. Parenting, I mean, not leaving when the subject of foals comes up. Though she does that too when she's carrying." A grim chuckle. "Four fat, healthy sacs and five healthy babies from them each of the three times she's had kids. I'm not worried about the sacs. She'll lay them, they'll be fine, they'll be normal– not, uh, that you're abnormal, Flawed." he stepped in for a nuzzle. "That was a jab at the agoraphobe she has a thing for– he's got wings and none of that strangeness ever passed onto the kids.

"Anyways, they were healthy the last three times without any sort of intervention, so I wasn't concerned about how they'll fare– I'm worried about how she comes through the process." Standing still wasn't working– he felt agitated and he had to work it out somehow, so he started pacing, working a figure eight around and between the two bucks.

"She's always a wreck that needs to be looked after and cared-for after she lays. She just stops eating towards the end, won't talk, won't hardly drink or interact at all. She refuses to be coddled or looked-after, and it takes far longer to put on the weight she'd had before clutching than it usually takes a doe to lose her clutch-weight. She'll be combative if I try to get on her case– especially if I imply anything to the effect that she's not back to a healthy state. It's the reason, I think, that it's just been the three clutches, and they've been spaced so far apart. It just... it's really hard seeing how difficult it is for her and not being able to do anything to help.

"I know that legendaries could sometimes offer blessings to make the births come safely and quickly, or to speed the mothers' and foals' recovery. Though I guess it's a little late for that now, isn't it."
He chuckled again, trying to hide how distressed he felt.

----

Flawed listened to the explanation from the buck and he gave a low sigh. He didn't know what he could do to help Echo, if anything, but he'd certainly give it his best effort, and said as much.

"I'll do my best to help her...in whatever way I can, even if she doesn't want me to help. I'll still try." well what else could he do? It was a situation that had him very much out of his depth of experience, so he was at a loss on how to react, and all, really.

He breathed a soft sigh.

----

Fish Bones shakes his head at Cave Yell. "There wasn't a chance, there is no blessing to help a mother. Blessings are for the children, any help for the parents is knowing their offspring will start life healthy." he replies, as gently as he can. "I will gladly stay, and help however I can." he offers.

On a whim he does something he has rarely done in view of others, and changes into his foxbun form. Maybe having an animal companion would feel less intrusive to her than a buck? he sends the thought out.

----

Cave Yell chuckled sardonically. "A scaled foxbun who just so happens to have the same coloration as the stag who blessed her earlier? I daresay she'd catch on. You'd best roll in some mud first if you want to try that tactic. Or learn to turn into something scaled." Still, the idea had some merit....

"It would probably be easier for someone as small and nimble as you to keep an eye on her when she tries to go off on her own, though. You'd be harder to spot."

----

There's a slightly amused twinkle in his eye. I wasn't implying she wouldn't recognize me. But stag or not, a small furry critter may be more welcome than a kin who looks like a kin." he replies, hoping it would, like tricking yourself into believing a thing you know really isn't true. Especially since no matter what he changes into, his glowing eyes would give it away. Mud wouldn't hide those either. This needs a bit of thought.

He sits quiet a while, considering various ideas. Seeing as my eyes will give it away anyhow, maybe instead of trying to hide who I am I could soften her up? With a gift of some sort, perhaps? he looks at Cave Yell expectantly, hoping the buck might share her favorite food or some such.

----

A chuckle. "She does like gifts. Food's right out– she'd take it the wrong way right now, no matter how much she loves boar liver." The buck rolled his head a little, working at getting a stress-kink to relax.

What would you get the doe who had everything already? "We like exotic things, and rare ones. Feathered Serpent egg shells are one that she's been vying for for years, but she can't get that snake of hers to give any potential mates the time of day, let alone clutch."

Hmm. What else, what else? "Nothing draconic– we're lousy with the stuff and basically only trade it out because of its rarity elsewhere. Scale-sheds from another serpent, maybe, but again, they're incredibly rare. Griffin feathers, especially ones in changing hues, preserved or petrified eggs or sacs of any kind, though we take painstaking efforts to empty them before we'd take them into the den and she's probably not going to be feeling up for that. Uh... pretty polished stones, especially gems, pearls, but only fancy-coloured ones or ones with good shapes, stones with holes worn through– naturally, not by tools or hooves– uh..."

A nervous shuffle. "We're collectors. Stuff is... our thing."

----

Fish Bones listens intently, almost looking like he's got a slight frown. I'm not particularly good at rare things, but I can weave some baskets? Not terribly exciting, but they are wonderful for carrying things, and just storing things. If you add a turtle shell, you can even carry liquids. he offers, surely kin who collect could use a basket. Or a few dozen. He could even weave some things in, he thinks, possibly. He'd try it with normal feathers, and if they like the look he'll find some more exotic ones to add. Assuming Cave Yell approves the idea.

----

Flawed looked between them and he silently excused himself from their conversation feeling very much like he was now in over his head on this entire situation, and very uncertain of what he could do to even help.

So while the buck and sta- no fox-bun spoke, his own companion having opted to stay behind which was for the best. Who knew if Repeat might not have been a huge pest to the stag in the end, he went down the path that Cave Yell had come up.

Let them figure things out and he.... well maybe he could find Echo and just sort of... be maybe. He didn't even know at this point to be honest and he hated feeling this uncertain!
word count: 2814