WISDOM HELPER PROMPT: Story Contest - Tree Bucks - Through Oct 10th

Matope's RP-heavy Fall/Halloween 2023 Event!
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist
Pebbles: 1,815.20 Pebbles

Forum

Post by Appeal »

THAT'S THE OIRIGIN OF LIGHT!
Kin Name: Rotten Liar
Preference List: Spring, Fall, Bat
RP & Story:

Rotten Liar waited for fresh group of kin to swing by before they made a grand entrance again. Simply telling one story was not enough, they needed to tell multiple stories! Wild stories! The tallest of stories! How far would they spin it? How far would they go? Where they stopped, nobody knows! This time the story would be about a wish upon a star...

"I'm afraid, I have a confession," they began. "I feel great responsibility on my shoulders as I have wronged the swamp."

They paused dramatically, sighing as if something heavy weighed upon them.

"It all began a few nights ago. You know the night, it was that very night. The sun had just set and I was looking up at the stars. Little could I have known what would happen this night! I was walking through the swamp, looking for a good clearing. There were no clouds out this evening and some stargazing was in order. Upon finding my clearing, I settled in. After a bit of time, that's when I saw it. A shooting star racing across the horizon! I made my wish... that's when it all went wrong. I didn't notice at first, not immediately. Slowly some stars began to disappear! I didn't think too much of it, I figured I was just a little tired so I went to sleep. It wasn't until when I woke up the next morning that I realized the grave error... the sun never came back!"

Rotten Liar looked up to the sky.

"You see, I wished... well, I was having such a good time that I wished that night would never end! And here we are in this endless night!"
word count: 306
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 4,153.76 Pebbles
Avatar Art Credit: space crawfish

Post by lilacfishie »

Kin Name: Sparkling Sunrise
Preference List: budgies, bat
RP & Story:
Sparkling Sunrise looked at the Undefeated doe, eyes swimming with wonder. She'd love to share a meal with her someday and ask her about all the things she's seen in this world. But now, she had a request for them, and her young mind was reeling with the possibilities. She found a comfortable place to rest by the fire and cleared her throat.

"I think," she started, tone indicating she was still gathering her thoughts. "I think that the motes might be pieces of the sun," she continued, her voice now taking a somber turn. "It's so bright up there, there's no way to know what it's actually shaped like behind all that light." As she continued to share, she stood back up and planted her feet. "What if the sun is also an Obelisk? What if it's the most powerful one? What if it was a gateway to wherever the Motherfather roams?" The young totoma spoke faster with each question, leaning from one side to another as she considered what all of that could mean. Realizing she was veering off the path of being comprehensible, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Her somber tone returned.

"Does anyone else remember that creature from the misty caves? I do. It was big, and powerful, and sinister," Sparkling Sunrise declared. She met eyes with each of the kin around her who chose to listen, landing last on the Undefeated doe. "If that monster was able to rip through the Obelisk and open the portals down in the caves and all across the land," she paused and looked back into the fire, "then maybe it was powerful enough to break through the Sun Obelisk."

She sat back down, ears low. "The monster broke through the Sun Obelisk and somehow subdued the Motherfather. Or, the Motherfather was away and the monster snuck in. Either way, the monster seems to live in the dark. If it was able to get into the Motherfather's realm, maybe it broke down the Sun Obelisk to bring the Swamp down into darkness." Sparkling Sunrise laid her head on her legs, saddened by her own words.

[Words: 360]
word count: 385
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

RP & Story:
After a few more shared their thoughts, Sparkling Sunrise picked her head up again, eyes wide with ideas. "Or, or," she said, her tone turned up with hope. "Maybe," she started, getting to her feet to pace through her thoughts in her little part of the clearing around the fire. "Maybe it's not so dire. I don't feel like the monster, even if it is big and powerful, could get the jump on the Motherfather like that," she stated confidently, ears flicking as she continued her thoughts.

"What if the Motherfather knew about the monster's plans to come up and overtake them, so they destroyed the Sun Obelisk themself? Something like the monster from the Obelisk probably takes a lot of time and planning to defeat, so they made time to do that without the monster entering their lands. The pieces floated down into the Swamp, carrying little pieces of sunlight with them. I've heard stories about the strange things that happened to kin and beasts that came into contact with the shards from the Obelisk in the mountains, so these shards, or motes, making us hallucinate doesn't seem so far fetched."

Sparking Sunrise looked around at the kin who gathered before she continued. She had seen a few Mares and Stags among the group, but none of them seemed to be leading the charge like in the stories of other Obelisks drawing kin together. "I think the Helpers, with all their experience with things like this, are blessed by the Motherfather in their own way, and are leading us through this like others have in times of Obelisk-related turmoil. They know how the pieces go back together."

[Words: 278]
word count: 302
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

RP & Story:
"Or, or, oooor," Sparkling Sunrise trailed off, face twisted in through yet again. "Maybe I've been wrong this entire time. Maybe it's something completely different." Again, the pacing in her little spot. Soon enough, she would wear away the foliage under her hooves. "Maybe this has nothing to do with the Motherfather and a giant Sun Obelisk." The young totoma fully turned around in her spot before facing the group again.

"What if, while we were all asleep, a massive wave of water crested over the entire Swamp? It used so much water it collected the deep, dark waters at the bottom of the ocean and now the big wave is covering the sun!" She demonstrated with a huge leap, shards chiming against one another as her hooves crashed back onto the ground. "Or! Or, the clouds must have caught all the dark water and got huuuuuge! So big that they blocked out the sun."

Sparkling Sunrise was so excited by this theory that she missed the strange looks the others around her were passing to one another while watching her performance. "I've seen a few kin here with these little squishy, wiggly pets. They need water like all the fish and sharks and rays. Maybe they absorbed some of the light from the moon when the huge wave crested over the swamp in the night and they drifted out of the clouds? If the clouds are so full of the dark water, these little creatures could slip right through.!"

Another hop and a wiggle, somehow, was supposed to demonstrate the creatures floating down to them from the sky. "I know some of the other animals in this land can sting or poison and there are some places that can make you hallucinate. So, why not a little sea creature that can make you see or feel strange things when you touch it? The little wigglies are lost in the dark, just like we are! I'd be scared and run away too if some big furry thing was chasing after me!" The kin surrounding the fire with Sparkling Sunrise did not see convinced, but she was very enthusiastic about this idea.

[Words: 361]
word count: 383
SerinaNight
Pebbles: 264.44 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1773

Post by SerinaNight »

Kin Name: Shadowed Moon
Preference List: spring, summer, winter, fall, bat, budgies (both), frog 2, frog 1
RP & Story:

The buck had approached this group after his odd encounter with the motes previously, and was rather pleased to hear he would not need to deal with any more visions this time around. While he'd told stories before, normally they were either real experiences of his own or strange tales he'd heard in his travels. He'd never really sat down and thought about which ones he believed despite lack of experience, so this was rather new for him. Before thinking about what these strange motes of light were, he had to think of where they might have come from, and as such was happened before they appeared.

"Stars... if they are stars..." the buck mumbled to himself, pondering the possibilities.

When he glanced up to speak to the group, a few eyes were already on him from his earlier mumbling, though his own deep thoughts kept him from fully noticing. "Some kin believe that the sun and the moon are lovers, correct? So if we assume the stars are their children, as some do, then perhaps... perhaps when the sun disappeared, they came to look for it. After all, the sun set over the horizon and never returned, and if a family cares deeply for each other, they would try and find their parent, correct? The moon hid in grief, which is why we can only see the moon faintly, hidden away, but most of the stars seemed to vanish before the motes appeared so... perhaps the stars come down to look for the sun? To find their family and bring back the moon's joy? Something like that?"

The buck looked into the woods, before adding quietly, "I know I would," he looked back at the group. "If any member of herd went missing, I would look for them, especially if they disappeared when we knew to expect them back. I'd find them no matter what... or I would keep looking forever."

The buck was silent for a moment before, perhaps intentionally, turning his thoughts. Pondering the idea of motes and stars, the buck came upon another idea. "Or perhaps-"

Preference List: spring, summer, winter, fall, bat, budgies (both), frog 2, frog 1
RP & Story:

"-they are the ones who did it? The light of the stars seems more like the intense light of the sun than the gentle light of the moon, so maybe they were simply jealous? After all, despite their number they are no match for the sun's light, so maybe they wished to shine just like the sun does? Be the only light themselves?"

The buck paused, pondering this idea. "I suppose jealousy is not unheard of, and many creatures, kin included, are known to do such things, though personally I cannot imagine it. I understand wishing to experience something, but to steal if away and deprive them of it yourself... that is beyond me." He paused, realizing once again he was going off topic, though he felt his thoughts continue to wander this trail for a moment. After all, such things were rather alien to him, and he imagined many of his herd, and though he wondered why others would hurt one in that way, he did know some who... enjoyed bothers others to potentially painful ends. So perhaps it was similar? Either way, the buck hoped this if this is true, it is simply mischief, like the kind his daughter enacted, and not the kin that wished true harm.

"If this is true, say they kidnapped the sun and stole it's light, to use it and also so that they might be all that can be seen? I am unsure why they would come down to the swamp... if they are being chased maybe they wish to hide? Or I suppose they could with to show off their new ill-gotten light...?"

The buck sat with this thought for a while, before he realized something, "They could also be something else... something different like-"

RP & Story:

"-some kind of new creature? Something we've never seen before? After all, such creatures always seem to appear in the swamp, often followed by some strange new event." He'd seen and brought home several himself after all, it would be strange to assume something so unknown had only one possible identity, though he knew some kin himself who were single-minded in their ideas. While not jealous, or even envious of such kin, it was interesting to see such loyalty to their beliefs. Unwilling to waver, and truly sure of that which had their heart, despite the possibility that not only could it be false, but that they might never find it true, or even some small measure of proof of it's existence. Shadowed Moon wondered if it tired them out to be so sure of themselves all the time, but he himself had grown tired of new and changing revelations and ideas so it was not like one was better then another.

Well, either way, he could only think how he himself was able, so he continued this new line of thought. "Say these are some new type of creature. We have seen many with strange and unusual powers, so perhaps it is not the stars that stole the sun, but these strange things? Maybe the sun broke into pieces, and fell to the swamp? Or perhaps it is simply some unknown being that has stolen its light and run amok... or simply a friendly guide, wishing to help us with some quest to return things to how they should be." The buck trailed off, pondering once more.

Shadowed Moon chuckled. "I suppose I didn't really tell any particular story, but beyond what I know to not be true, or at least," the buck interjected, this own prior thoughts reminding him that the even his own beliefs could be false, "believe not to be true... I can only imagine what they might be."

"Should they be specks of a broken sun, searching or stealing stars, some strange new creature which either hinders or helps us... I am curious to find out." He added, tentatively. "Everything we see and hear will tell us more, though I hope either way we return the sky to it's natural state... I miss the moon." The buck sighed, and settled down sadly. Turning to the rest of the group to hear what other stories they might have to share.
word count: 1137
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist
Pebbles: 348.46 Pebbles

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

Kin Name: Sleepy Time
Preference List: bat, frog 2, frog 1
RP & Story:
"Okay, so in the beginning," Sleepy Time says, his voice low and eager, "There were these creatures, I think, they were quite anomalous, not anything like you'd see here in the Swamp nowadays, no kimeti or zikwa or anything of the sort. This was something quite a bit more...shall we say, free spirited, and a little hard to describe (don't ask me, I can't explain). But there they were, at the beginning of all, and they got quite bored, you see, because it's really no fun to be around by yourself and have no one to talk to."

A pause as Sleepy Time considers this. "Well, unless you'd like to nap. Or spend time alone. Or eat without having your food stolen. But besides all of that, having friends is quite nice. I don't have very many right now, but I think that's okay - "

He goes on for several moments on this tangent before he gets back on track. "Right, anyway, as I was saying, there was this mysterious creature in the beginning (not the MotherFather, mind you, they've always existed), and there was nothing but dark in the beginning, because they didn't know any better, not really. And one day, they decided that they'd had quite enough and that there should be, you know, something more than just sitting around with your tail twitching trying to see what's going on 'round you. And so they said to themselves, they said, "Self, I think I will create something that will make me happy.

"So they created stars! Which are quite nice, I rather like them. And then, once they had done that, they decided on making a sun, to make things even more bright, except the problem is that it was too bright, just a little too much, and they got blinded by it and decided that it was all too much. So they broke off pieces of the sun that they had created and let them float around instead. Only they went a bit too far in the other direction, and now the sun's been broken up into too many pieces, and we should probably put it back together again so we can see."

Sleepy Time gives a huge yawn. "I do like naps quite a bit, but this is all a lot to take in and I do like the warmth of the sun, too. So we should probably round everything up and get it taken care of, yes?"

This seems to have exhausted Sleepy Time's (very limited) energy, so he lays down, makes himself comfortable, and immediately falls asleep.
word count: 465
Astraea
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 1,210.70 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1300

Post by Astraea »

Kin Name: Life
Preference List: Winter, Fall, Spring, Summer, Frog 1, Frog 2, Bat, Budgies
RP & Story: Life looked thoughtful.

"I think the idea that they are the souls of our ancestors might be only part of the story. I think that they are souls of everything that lived, live, or will live in our swamp. These ones.." she indicated to some of the motes in softer colors, "are the souls of our ancestors. They glow dim from a life well lived, they warm us and remind us that they are always with us and around us."

She gestured with a point of her nose. "These bright ones, the ones who light up everything around them are souls that are waiting for their chance at this world. They sparkle with the hope of the future." She smiled at a small group of brightly shining motes that seemed to float around with each other, dancing along a breeze. "Maybe these are a clutch of siblings that are waiting to be given their naming dreams." The doe's eyes were twinkling, dewy, and big. "Ahh ahh..maybe these are some of my soon to be children. Oh how exciting."

She noticed some were looking at her with confused or curious looks and she cleared her throat. "I got a little off track, pardon me."

"I think that means these smaller motes might be the animals and familiars we share the swamp and our lives with. Maybe different colors mean different animals." The doe took a moment and watched the motes and while mostly to herself, said aloud; "They're rather like stars aren't they? So many of them here, uncountable, but each a spark of what was and what will be."

Life chuckled weakly. "I suppose that sounds like a foal tale doesn't it?"
word count: 310
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist
Pebbles: 348.46 Pebbles

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

Kin Name: Death Take Me
Preference List: bat, frog 2, frog 1
RP & Story:
He tells the story in soft, slightly faltering words to Born of Death, Death Take Me's expression gentle, if not a little uncertain.

"Once upon a time," he says, and lets Haven press up against his side affectionately, even if the sand dog belongs to the zikwa, "there was a great fight. This was in the early days, when the Swamp had just been made, and when the lands were still mostly unoccupied. There were zikwa, of course, and kimeti, and acha and totoma - all of the kin were there, slowly starting to figure out their lives in this strange new existence they'd been given. But there were many disputes about who should belong where, about where everyone should go. They began to argue, everything in chaos; there was no harmony just yet, no understanding that they should use their resources together and learn to live with one another."

Death pauses, taking a breath, and offers the zikwa a faint smile. Even if Born can't see it, Death wants him to feel it, to feel something in the way that his voice changes when he looks at the zikwa, when he speaks to him.

"Eventually," says Death quietly, "the war becomes violent, too painful to last. It comes down to only the last fighters, a buck and a doe, one a zikwa and one an acha. Everyone else was too busy fighting, though they'd all lost the reason for the fights, what they had originally wanted, what they had originally desired. Peace had long since become lost, and as a result, there was very little for them to survive on. The acha, a quiet doe, in her wisdom and her gentleness, decided to offer the zikwa an olive branch, an offer of a truce. The zikwa - tired of the fight and of the long struggle to merely survive, decided to agree. They would all share this land among them, so that they could grow their families and their lives and live without the constant threat of danger.

"To preserve this peace, to hold this pact and to honor their agreement, they decided to make a fire and place within it their most precious belonging. It is not quite known what they each gave up, but it is rumored that the acha doe gave up her sight, her eyes, and the zikwa buck gave up his speech, his tongue. The fire accepted these sacrifices and wove together a promise of peace. It sent out into the world a blaze of light so that all the kin would be able to see and accept this promise, a fire so bright that it exploded into tiny fragments. This is what is before us now, and this is what we need to gather together again - a reminder that we can live in peace together."

Death lapses into silence again, slightly embarrassed. It's been a long time since he's spoken this much at all, but he doesn't regret it, not really. He leans forward and gently brushes his nose against Born's muzzle.

"Always together," he says softly, "the zikwa and the acha lived out their promise to one another - and to their kin."
word count: 556
Astraea
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 1,210.70 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1300

Post by Astraea »

Kin Name: Death
Preference List: Winter, Fall, Spring, Summer, Frog 1, Frog 2, Bat, Budgies
RP & Story: Death too, had an idea.

"Souls yes." he began; "But not like you think my love. I'm sorry to say that I am nearly for sure that these are the souls of those lost between worlds." He wasn't really sure, not 100% at least, but he was comfortably certain enough to express the thought.

"Size and color doesn't matter here, they're all wayward souls. Sparks that haven't found their way back into the Motherfather's grace to be renewed and reborn. It really is quite sad that there are so many." He was quiet for a long moment, watching the motes floating. "They should be guided back to their proper paths, the longer they linger, the more they'll forget, the more scared, confused, and angry they may become."

He turned to the other who had gathered to admire the lights. "We ought to investigate further and find out how we can help them." His tone was serious and his look stern. "It will not do to think them a simple phenomenon that is pretty to look at." The others seemed to look uncomfortable at the thought. "I know it seems scary or that I'm making this a larger issue then it is, but if we do not guide them properly, or discover a way, this may be your fate as well one day. To be alone, scared, not able to be back in the warmth of our creator."

He looked at the faces of others. Some turned away from his gaze, some looked scared or uncomfortable. He sighed. "I'm sorry, I guess I was overtaken by the situation. Of course none of you could fully understand." He put back on his trademark warm half smile. "I will figure this out so don't worry further." The buck wandered away from the crowd and stood among a large gathering of motes, studying them silently.
word count: 344
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 1,309.38 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=863

Post by LOLLI qAq »

Kin Name: Story
Preference List: Bat, Frog 2, Fall, Spring
RP & Story:
Story's eyes moved as the doe with the yellow glow looked at her mysterious companions- Ahh, he thought, so they had their own theories about what the motes were as well ... but maybe didn't know for certain either. Well, in that case he could hazard a guess without it being a clear falsehood. He didn't particularly enjoy telling tales if they weren't true. Or, at the very least, had a touch of truth to them.

He cleared his throat a few times letting the breath whistle past his lips as he took a deep breath to do so.

"Now that I have your attention," he said not unkindly, "I would like to tell you of what I believe our bright little guides to be."

"You see the green life of the Swamp can tell when things are changing long before we can. The tendrils of the long reaching mushroom spoke to the roots of the trees. The trees whispered to the birds. The birds told the field mice. The mice told the fireflies."

He looked up at the trees and the bright lights floating in and around smiled gently.

"The fireflies, worried the darkness would engulf everything, plead with the MotherFather- 'Please, let us keep them safe when the time comes. Give us the strength to help protect your children.' They asked once. Twice. Three time, and heard nothing. They were saddened, but it didn't stop them from shining every night anyway. They even did all they could, dancing and twinkling, at her children to attempt to warn them.

When the darkness came the fireflies didn't notice at first. They couldn't see that their pleas had been granted. They were glowing so bright, and had been imbued with the ability to protect themselves from anyone that might do them harm."

He looked around with a sad smile.

"Unfortunately, we all know that sometimes the powers granted by the MotherFather are ... unpredictable. And they are protected from us, as well. Now, we do what we can to collect them. They'll save us."

Story bowed his head and stood to move away from notice. He didn't feel the need to linger, but hoped the others liked his story, and that the motes liked them as well.
word count: 401
Toshiful
Legendary
Legendary
Pebbles: 3,526.68 Pebbles

Forum

Post by Toshiful »

Kin Name: Party World
Preference List: winter, fall, summer, bat, budgies
RP & Story:

Party whispered in a conspiratorial way. "Okay, so I heard, from this guy, who heard from this girl he used to see, who had a neighbor whose great, great, great, great, great, ancestor went to the first like, really banging event. And it was totally off the path. You'd think since everyone was like, in old times, that the drinks wouldn't be good, or that the music would just be like, sad whistling, because they didn't have like, cool stuff to make music with. But no. There was this huge storm, and it somehow it cleared out this perfect field for everyone to dance in. And the huge trees that fell over, and they like, knocked them with their hooves, and it made this like, rumbling rhythm that you could feel with all of you. And the storm had stirred up all sorts of like, tastyness so there was tons to eat. And so everybody really gets into it, and the party was so, so good that the Spirit who Watches Over All Parties sent their own sparkles to make everything glow and glitter. And they even like, made it so you like, transcended reality a little, into the Party realm, because they were from the Party Spirit."

Party hadn't taken a breath through the whole story, and took a bunch of gasping ones now. "Woah, haha," he said. "Anyway, they are still here. To guide us to like, the ultimate party. I bet that's what all this is. Because like, you have to set the mood first, right? Like with the lights. And then things go off. I bet that's totally where this is all going."
word count: 302
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 1,309.38 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=863

Post by LOLLI qAq »

Kin Name: Totem
Preference List: Bat, Frog 2, Fall, Spring
RP & Story:
Totem was already lounging and enjoying the other's stories when she decided maybe it was time for her to tell one. She wasn't particularly good at telling stories or performing, but she'd grown up around the best storytellers in the swamp and surely something must have rubbed off on her. She raised her head when there was a lull and spoke out.

"I have an idea! If anyone would like to hear it." She got comfortable again, but made sure to speak as loudly and clearly as she could.

"Every one of us has a spark. A small piece of light that connects us to each other and to the world around us. We find such joy in so many things- Telling stories. Singing songs. Hunting. The passions and happiness that we pursue in our day-to-day lives helps our spark grow larger."

Totem giggled.

"For me, that's finding never ending freedom through adventure and new friends. For some it's making and sharing new delicious drinks for us all to try and enjoy. For a whole lot of us it's finding or making a family. The important thing is that we're always growing the light that lives within us. Now, in all this darkness, is no different.

You see I think they are our light. We're the motes. Or rather that it's our hopes and dreams that are piercing the darkness and will save us.

As the world got darker so did our innate need to reach out to each other, to help each other, and the light within us spread to guide us out.
I know it's not a story like most others have told, but that's because those of us doing something are the reason. We are the origin story, and the more love we share with each other. The more we do to fight this, especially for the ones that can't be here, then the more motes we'll see."

She shifted uncomfortably, but held her head high. It was maybe an unconventional story, maybe, but she was sticking by it.
word count: 375
Toshiful
Legendary
Legendary
Pebbles: 3,526.68 Pebbles

Forum

Post by Toshiful »

Kin Name: Stay Awake
Preference List: winter, fall, summer, bat, budgies
RP & Story:
Stay Awake smirked, not entirely pleasantly. "I know this one," he said. "So there was this kin that was like, maybe the best kin that ever lived? He had this one horn on his head, and whenever anybody like, messed with him, he'd kill them. But it was always in a cool way. Like, he'd stab them with the horn, and then they'd explode. Or he'd slash it really fast, and then they'd look surprised and you'd think they weren't even cut, but then all of a sudden they fall apart into a hundred pieces because they were already dead. That kind of stuff. Really cool. You can see it, right? So this guy, one day he finds this glowy asshole who thought he was really, really smart. He thought if he talked fancy, he could get the kin with one horn to do whatever he wanted. And maybe he could have, and maybe they were cool with each other, and maybe they could have gone on and done a lot of cool shit together. And for a while, they did. But one day they were in this tight spot and it looked like maybe they wouldn't make it out. And instead of sticking it out together, the glowy kin decides to cut and run. And once he was far enough, and the one-horned kin was like, swarmed with enemies, the glowy kin calls back, I never liked you, and you weren't all that cool to begin with, and I've got other stuff to do that's more important."

This story seemed like it was maybe about something else.

"So anyway," Stay Awake said, "The one-horned guy kills all the enemy guys anyway. And he catches up to the glowy guy and he cuts him up into a bunch of pieces too. And I guess the motes are what's left. And I guess even the pieces of the glowy guy are still lying about shit. And if you put them all together they'll probably still be a shitty boyfriend."
word count: 372
Anhelisk
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 5,344.26 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=889

Post by Anhelisk »

THAT'S THE ORIGIN OF LIGHT!
Kin Name: Tincture
Preference List: Just glow, please!
RP & Story: Tincture had no idea how they'd stumbled across the gaggle of foals they'd found, but when it was clear that they were suffering, the acha had been all-but obligated to stay with them and offer them what little comfort a stranger could. They had checked them over for sources of discomfort, had soothed some scrapes and gently talked one through the throes of a panic, until they were able to breathe steadily on their own. But still, the little things had been so scared by the endlessly-stretching night that Tincture felt there was only one option to resort to-- the kindness of comforting words.

"I know that the darkness is frightening to some," the acha started, keeping their voice calm and lighthearted. "It's a time full of mystery, after all. But you've been through many nights, and you'll be through many more." The foals had quieted around Tinc as they began speaking, and it was obvious to the acha that the group were now trained on their voice... so they would have to continue.

"But there wasn't always sunlight to enjoy-- the MotherFather created the sun after we were created, and for some time, all of the creatures in creation lived lit only by the ticks on her pelt to guide them. Of course, there was a great deal of tripping involved,", they said dryly.

A small chorus of nervous giggling followed.

"Things are different, now. We've had the sun for so long that nobody quite remembers what the real story about how it and the moon were made-- or even as to which one came first-- but the motes of floating light we see around, those glowing motes? Those are the wandering fleas of the Motherfather's pelt, trying to crawl their way back away from the sun, where the Motherwather rests. And if you sleep sweetly, and one gently rests upon you, I've heard you'll be blessed with a dream visitation from the MotherFather herself. It's a very special blessing, I'll have you know."

Tincture listened to the quiet babbling of the foals for a little longer, before trying one last thing. "You won't be able to lure one into visiting you while you sleep if you keep talking, however. Why don't we try to get some shut-eye-- some real rest, to see if anyone here might be so blessed?"
Last edited by Anhelisk on Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:44 am, edited 4 times in total. word count: 424
Anhelisk
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 5,344.26 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=889

Post by Anhelisk »

THAT'S THE ORIGIN OF LIGHT!
Kin Name: Musk
Preference List: Just glow, please!
RP & Story: With the sun no longer gracing the sky, kin had retreated to individual bastions of light, crowding together with both friends and strangers during this period of absolute strangeness. Musk was no stranger to hardships, although his children had never experienced much in the way of suffering here in the swamp... but now that the night stretched on indefinitely long, it had rattled them, and the muskies they raised. If he was willing to admit it, it rattled him, too.

So when one of his daughters, long-since an adult capable of making it on their own, asked him to tell them a story, he couldn't help but to indulge them. even if he was hardly a storyteller at all. "Of course, my darling," the stallion rumbled, leaning his head over another fluffy family member's mane-- one of his sons, probably-- and cleared his voice to begin.

"Back when the MotherFather was creating the world-- uniting desert to swamp with by way of the plains that she had made for the kiokote-- the creations they had begun to put into the world were tired, cold, and scared. Trees grew. rivers flowed and flowers blossomed without the touch of the sun, and all lived in the perpetual twilight of creation. The MotherFather walked the world actively as they created, and each creation had in itself a spark from the MotherFather themself-- a soft, glowing light that illuminated them for the rest of the world to see.

"As you can imagine, this was not good for the smaller creatures."
He paused calmly as somebody snickered, or possibly it was a breathy whuff from one of the muskies curled up with them all, then waited for silence to continue.

"The stones and the trees and the rivers and lakes were all content to work on their assigned tasks-- to stand strong, to take root and grow, and to flow from the mountains to the seas, but the smaller creations, like cheetahs and the rabbits, and the kin like us? They were not satisfied to toil endlessly. They, unlike the forces of nature, were ill-suited to a life of constant work, and as such, each kind of the MotherFather's work nominated one of their kind to come forth and plead their case.

"The first group to approach the MotherFather were the smallest creatures, complaining of how difficult it was to stay hidden. They had to run faster, dig deeper, and fly higher than the creatures who would prey upon them without rest, and their foes had the advantage of being able to spot them at a distance. 'Help us,' they implored of the MotherFather, 'For if you do not act, we shall surely perish.'

"Next to approach were the larger creatures, the ones who ate the flesh of others. They complained of how difficult it was to hunt. They had to run faster, dig deeper, and fly higher than the creatures they preyed upon without rest, and their foes had the advantage of being able to spot them at a distance. 'Help us,' they implored the MotherFather, 'For if you do not act, we shall surely starve.'

"The third group to approach her took the longest to be heard, only because those among them who could uproot themselves were few and far between. But no matter that they took longer, the plants sent the treants among them to beg for help. They compained of how the animals around them were constantly hurting them-- digging at their roots, eating their flowers and fruits, and scarce giving them enough time to grow. 'Help us,' they implored, 'For we will be worn away to nothing if the animals continue their constant battles.'

"And so, the MotherFather had sympathy upon their creations. With a gentle kiss upon each one, the MotherFather drew upon the spark of life that had been imbued in them, replacing it with a gentler power-- one that would come unraveled over time, but prevent them from glowing. From the sparks they had collected, they created forces to govern all of life-- the sun and moon, to give light in the day and light at night, so that no one would miss the glows they had once carried in their heart-- and gave them the gift of slumber."

The buck paused for a moment, uncertain of how the story went from there. He'd heard it when he was younger-- much younger. "Of course, not all the sparks were made into the sun and moon-- some were caught in the pelt of the MotherFather themself-- the ticks and fleas of the sky-- and yet others were captured by those who could not bear to be parted from the light they had been created with, but I think that... would be a story for another time," he said curtly.

The silence stretched on for a while before he spoke up. "Now. Who else wishes to share a story? Certainly you must have heard something better than the ramblings of this old buck." He smiled as he saw one of the figures beside him perk up in the dimness of distant firelight, settling in to do what he'd always been more comfortable with than storytelling-- the act of listening.
Last edited by Anhelisk on Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 893