[PRP] A Light Plight (Sun-Cursed x Smoldering Ember)

All in character interactions and roleplays.
doomsayer
Pebbles: 1,728.14 Pebbles

Post by doomsayer »

Smoldering Ember tensed as Sun-Cursed shuddered mid-sentence. When she shut her eyes and looked away from him, he quickly looked around them to see if he could spot what she saw. When that yielded no results beyond the weak glow of the afternoon sun piercing through the layer of leaf cover at the entry of the recess, he shifted his attention to the acha doe once again.

Clearly she was in some form of distress, but based on her retreating away from looking at his direction, he didn't know if consoling her through touch would be the best thing for her right now. So instead he opted to just let her know that she was safe with him.

"I don't know what you're seeing or what you're going through right now. All I'm seeing is it's just the two of us in here right now. But I just want you to know that even if I don't understand, I am right here and I will stay here to do my best to keep you safe."
Last edited by doomsayer on Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 184
HuniPi
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 2,813.60 Pebbles

Post by HuniPi »

Sun-Cursed tried to steady her breathing, using Smoldering Ember's voice to help ground her and remind her of where she was and that the ominous shadows that would fall upon her eyesight would eventually fade away. "Th-thank you," she said, her voice muffled by the wall. "Sorry if this is upsetting and sorry for being such trouble."

Moving in the Dark curled up against her master to purr soothingly.

With her eyes still closed she angled her head where Ember's voice was coming from "Nothing's really there, I know this. Hang the Moon helped show me before, when I was a foal. But when the strange, shadow-spots appear it feels like they are. I guess speaking out what seeing them makes me feel helps it to pass faster."

She sighed, "I am grateful, Ember, thank you truly. I don't know how I can make it up to you."
word count: 155
doomsayer

Post by doomsayer »

He audibly exhaled the breath he didn't know he was holding all this time when Sun-Cursed finally spoke. He understood that she could see things he couldn't---he supposed it wasn't all that surprising given that she was one of very few kin he's ever met that had a halo. She likely has gifts and curses that are unique to her. As her friend, he was concerned for her, but it was all he could do to be there to help her when she needed it.

"I wouldn't exactly call this trouble. I was on the way home when your little friend there caught my attention. My naming dream fuels me to help others, and I would never have lived it down if I was in the position to help you and chose not to. So don't think about owing me anything or about repaying me, you're very welcome and I'm just happy I can help.

Although... I am incredibly curious about how you've survived all this time like this. Do you know why the sun hurts you? Do you live somewhere secluded and safe from it? Only if you're comfortable talking about that stuff, of course. I'm also okay with just sitting here in silence while we pass the time."
word count: 223
HuniPi
Patron
Patron

Post by HuniPi »

Sun-Cursed shifted her weight within the recess, she wasn't exactly uncomfortable about all the questions being asked of her and Ember had always been concerned for her well being first and foremost. She wanted to be as upfront as she could be with him, and share what little she did know about her situation. "I like talking to someone who actually talks back," she chuckles. "I don't really have any one specific spot. I move around a lot despite having picked up some, um, helpers?" she glanced down at the now-snoozing cheetah. "We usually find somewhere well-shaded or fully covered to sleep but they're not usually too far from spot to spot."
word count: 118
doomsayer

Post by doomsayer »

Smoldering Ember was nearly overcome with a longing to close the distance between them and physically comfort Sun-Cursed upon learning about her vagabond lifestyle. Between growing up as a foal in his mother's fairly large den and spending his adult life in his comfortable mangrove root home, he had never known not to have a home to always go back to rest and feel safe.

"Are... are you happy living like that? Wouldn't you prefer to have some place more permanent to call home?"
Last edited by doomsayer on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 87
HuniPi
Patron
Patron

Post by HuniPi »

Her ears drooped briefly, but she forced a smile before answering, "I don't really think about it?"

It was the truth. She knew if she put too much thought on it, it might be too upsetting to keep going. "But it would be nice to have somewhere I could reliably go back to. It would have to be amenable to all my helpers. Some are friendlier than others." She tried not to think of Heartless and how the feathered serpent was exceptionally particular of who could approach them and their little family. "Um, do you know of a place like that?"
word count: 102
doomsayer

Post by doomsayer »

He spent a bit of time thinking about places he knew where she could make a more permanent place for herself and her helpers. A few locations came to mind, but they were all a little too far into the swamp for his own preference. He was thinking that if she could find a place closer to him, then he could check up on her whenever he wanted and she could easily drop in if ever she needed anything.

Then it hit him. The mangrove forest near the tributary where he lived would be the perfect place for her! It's never completely bright there. The woven roots and vines provide perfect shelter from the sun at any time of the day, and traversing the area without having to worry about the light of the sun is easy because of all of the tall branches and leaves already fused overhead. He couldn't recall if there were any root clusters that were currently uninhabited, but his place was large enough for a few kin to stay in and he didn't mind having some company until she could find her own place.

Pleased by his bright idea, he smiled at Sun-Cursed as he made his offer,"You remember my place in the mangrove forest? It's close to the river tributary, it's always cool, and there's never a spot where the sun shines down brightly. How would you feel about living around there?"
word count: 246
HuniPi
Patron
Patron

Post by HuniPi »

Sun-Cursed looked apprehensive for a moment, she didn't want to impose to much but she reminded herself that she had asked him and he wouldn't have made the suggestion if he wasn't certain. "I'd like that. I'm sure Caught in the Act will like it too, he's already familiar with the area," she giggled, suddenly yawning.

The relief from the sun and the mental load of always searching for somewhere safe to sleep lifting undid the knots of tension in her body. "It'll be a while before the sun goes down. We should nap before then, we're going to need energy to herd some of my pets." She adjusted her position, as if inviting Ember to move in closer.
word count: 128
doomsayer

Post by doomsayer »

Smoldering Ember was pleased with himself, seeing that Sun-Cursed didn't outright reject his suggestion and that she visibly relaxed at the thought of it. This way he would be able to check up on her as soon as he woke and right before he slept. It would take some adjustment for Nightstrike to have her pets living in the same location, but he was optimistic that it would all work out.

"I'm happy you see it that way. Nightstrike and I would be glad to have you."

Now that the seriousness of their discussion had passed, he also felt a slight fatigue settle in from the physical exertion of earlier. Since Sun-Cursed was more relaxed around him now and she's shifted her position, he got in a little closer to get more comfortable.

"Yes, let's get some rest. We still need to get your leg checked later before we can start to gather your helpers."
word count: 161