[PRP] Not So Little Fish {Little Fish x Treat You Better}

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Izaeah
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 5,491.32 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=88

Post by Izaeah »

Season changes were not new things, not as far as he was concerned. They were recent things—he was young, he knew—but they were not new things. Little Fish couldn't truly remember what had brought him to this particular water. It was on the edge of things; there were others nearby but not as nearby as they could have been, and it suited him fine. He liked the quiet.

He couldn’t complain about having found this water, however. It was warm most of the time and the sand was comfortable. It called to him in a way that the bright and less so bright fishes under that very water called to him. There were trees just a short ways away from the water and while he much preferred to be wet, at times, being under the cover of the trees suited him fine.

Most of his time was actually spent in the water and it was not all that uncommon that his hooves only found solid ground—as solid ground as sand could be—after hours spent out on the water. That wasn't to say he spent all of his time swimming; there were dips in the sand and at times, when he couldn't locate the even smaller fishes he'd been seeking, he'd find an area where he could settle for a short while, hooves as solid as they could be on sand, water still up nearly to his jaws.

When he wasn't in the water, he was close enough that part of him was wet—his tail, usually. Not being able to feel the water directly on any part of him was strange and he knew that this is why his name was exactly what it was.

He was of the water and the water was of him. He was a Fish. A little one, certainly, but a fish and fishes were supposed to be in the water.

On that particular morning, after a strangely short night, Little Fish had found himself flopped only partially on the beach. He’d shifted and squirmed until the parts of him that hadn’t been in the water had honestly been covered with sand. It was the easiest way to keep warm and warmth felt needed on that particular morning. Only part of his head peeked from the sand, and it was enough for him to be able to keep track of his surroundings while he rested a little more.
Last edited by Izaeah on Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 416
Lirilei
Herald
Herald
Pebbles: 6,105.00 Pebbles

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

Treat You Better was usually down on the water. He liked to collect the shells that he found and turn them into accessories. Shells, starfish, and various other things had turned up over time, and been fashioned into things for himself and other kin to wear. He ran a little business down near the water to help accessorize kin, when the mood struck him. It hadn't for awhile, he'd been looking for...something. Inspiration perhaps, or a new amazing thing to turn into something to wear.

With a sigh he'd flung himself into the water to swim for awhile, and take his mind off of things. He liked what he did but maybe...he needed something more fulfilling? He wasn't sure. Still he swam for a long time, coming out of the water to walk along the sand...and veer back into the water after he'd dried. Over and over he repeated these actions losing track of where he was going, or had come from. He was a distance away from his usual haunt, and the change of scenery was noticeable.

The night had passed with him finding rest beneath unfamiliar trees, but he was up early and exploring eagerly. Maybe this new stretch of beach would help him find new shells, and new things. It was as he was walking he spotted something bright in the sand some distance off, and he wondered what it was. Was it an unusual shell? A fish? Maybe it was edible. His stomach rumbled to let him know he was rather hungry and he picked up his pace, pausing as he reached the blue and red thing, staring down.

"This isn't a shell...or a fish...darn." how disappointed Treat sounded at both of these revelations!
Izaeah wrote:
Last edited by Lirilei on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 301
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

No, certainly not, this pretty blue-and-red sand-covered something was not a fish, nor a shell. Had one been paying attention to smaller details, they would have seen that whatever it was, the sand was that was near it and partially submerged lifted and dropped just oh so barely. Whatever it was, it breathed.

Shallowly, but it breathed.

He breathed.

And at the words, red eyes opened, somewhere in the middle of that red-and-blue. From the sand, closer to the top of the strange-yet-colourful thing, there was a shift and pointed something else began to come from the sand. The red eyes of the mystery one blinked once, twice, and slowly, from the sand as a whole, out came Fish.

"I'm not food, no." Fishes were food, right? And, well, possibly he could have been, but he was a little big for any single kin to possibly feast one had the desire struck and Fish would have gone very much so out of his way to stay the heck away from anyone wanting more than just a little nibble. Not that he was looking to be nibbled on. Briefly, he shook his head to clear out the oddly invading thoughts. Those had come out of nowhere, really. It was strange to be woken up by another kin. He was on his own so often.

Instead of shaking the sand out, it certainly would go everywhere and he couldn't rightfully do this, right? Right. So he waded deeper into the water, shook whatever sand would dislodge this way and then slowly waded back closer to the shore, studying this stranger.

"There are a lot of fishes in the water, though." Himself included but there was again the point that he wasn't about to be food, no thank you.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 308
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

Well now what? The red and blue sandy covered lump wasn't a fish, wasn't a shell...could....talk....???? What did he do with it? It didn't look like any kin he'd ever seen before, so it took a bit to register that this is a kin, stupid. Treat was a sweet boy, but maybe not the brightest some days.

Though to be fair said kin was still mostly sand covered, and it wasn't until it - he - emerged that Treat caught on. "Oh! You're a kin!" he sounded pleased to realize this was the case, even if he'd been disappointed that the "whatever" he'd spotted wasn't fish or shells. Still he watched the vibrant kin curiously as he stepped into the water to shake off, only to come right back to the sand. At least he wasn't burying himself in it this time he supposed.

"There are, and they're tasty. When I feel like swimming around to catch them anyhow. You sure you're not a fish? You kinda look like one..." he narrowed his eyes at Little Fish, not in suspicion, just thoughtfully. "Well...I guess fish don't have legs...so I guess you're not."
Izaeah wrote:
word count: 210
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

He shook himself dry a little more once he was back onto the sand. Most of that very sand that he'd found himself covered in had been washed away from his pelt with his dip back in the water. There was no way he was going to have let it dry on him fully, it would have itched and he had plenty of that on other days when he stayed in the water far too long.

He blinked at the stranger, his head tipped slightly to one side. Of course, he was a kin. What kind of-- well no, nevermind. That was fine. He had been mistaken for other things before, so this was all right. He could forgive this one for seeming to not have understood from the get-go that he was like him, without being quite the same. They were vastly different, after all.

"I like swimming. That does not make me a fish." He did stomp his hooves a little, mostly to prove the point that yes, he had legs and no, he was not a fish. His tail might have tried to lure others into the thought that he was fish but, truly, he wasn't fish so much as he was Fish. Little Fish.

For a moment longer he eyed this one, stepping closer and canting his head back to look up at the stranger. "Are you hungry, then?"

Well, he had been mistaken for possibly a fish, or even a shell, it seemed! So he had to ask. He did have a small area with shallower water where he tended to drop a fish or two as he caught them. It made it easier to get to them later on.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 290
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

Treat's eyes were locked on the fishy kin with a curious expression as he moved into the water and rinsed, but more as he reemerged, the colors and markings on him making him just sort of breath out a low "Ohhhh" from him. He was a pretty not-fish that was for certain!

"It could though. I mean you have a fish tail. But I don't know many fish with legs. Or at least I've never caught any...and you can talk...and I guess fish don't talk. Or...again the ones I catch don't." he looked very thoughtful as he contemplated this. Maybe the ones he caught couldn't talk because by the time he got them up on land they were more or less dead. He hadn't had to catch this fish. So he wasn't dead. Thus he could talk! That still didn't make perfect sense though so he shook his head to chase that thought off.

The question though earned a laugh as his stomach rumbled. "I am yep. I was swimming a lot yesterday and earlier. Which I guess means I'm a fish too?" he looked at his tail. "Maybe not. I don't have fish parts. But you..." he looked at that tail again. "But I guess if you say you're not a fish maybe you're not a fish..." he sounded maybe a little doubtful. "I really like swimming though, and collecting shells and stuff. Though I left all my stuff behind." he flicked his tail a little in the direction he'd come from. Well roughly.

Treats stomach rumbled louder and he gave a laugh. "Guess I'm really hungry and I thought you might be a fish I could eat. Time to catch food!" he cried out and ran for the water to start hunting fish, even though he didn't know this area very well, and the best place to catch fish. Still, he was eager to give it a try (and well, to fill his belly) so of course he was heading into the surf. "Come fish with me?" he called over his shoulder.

Izaeah wrote:
word count: 366
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

Fish was well aware he was bright. It was one of the reasons why he was constantly hiding away under the sand. That and, well, in slightly cooler weather, when the sun hit the sand just right, it kept him warmer than if he merely stayed above ground. It was just one of those things. He'd seen others just sort of huddle together but he hadn't really found anyone he cared for well enough to attempt that with, so huddling under the sand for naps was fine.

For a brief moment, he flicked his tail, turning his gaze back to it. He knew he was different but that just so happened to be that he just was this way, as were others the way they were, in the end. That still didn't make him a fish and he nearly huffed about it but the way the other clearly rambled on the subject was enough to keep him quiet. It was oddly adorable; if a little childish. Not that he could really judge, he hadn't stopped to speak to that many other kins yet in his life. There just hadn't been an appeal.

"I can promise, I'm not a fish. I spend a lot of time around fishes, but I'm not one of them, even if I do look quite like them." It was true, though. He might have looked the part but wasn't; if for some reason he so happened to be a fish, he was quite the big one and the idea of fishes being able to roam on dry ground amused him, at least a little.

He shook his head, watching the other quietly. Was there a point to mentioning that no, spending a whole lot of time with fish, and collecting shells did not make one a fish? He doubted it and let it go too. There was too much to think about other than this particular idea. Especially as, just the second he had been ready to say something, the other had run for the other and Fish found himself chuckling softly under his breath.

Might as well join him so he doesn't drown, or something. A passing thought for him since he knew that certain areas could be somewhat dangerous considering how fast they dropped from sandy bottom to, well, much deeper waters. So he turned back to the water, wondering just how well this one could be quiet so that fishes could indeed be found and eaten.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 424
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

Treat didn't really realize he was being judged by the other buck, nope. He was too busy rambling on about his theory on fish, and the like to notice the silent judgment happening. Not that he'd have done much even if he had in the end.

"Well I suppose you would know the best if you're a fish or not." He finally conceded because well, the other would. He was his own kin (or so he claimed) but he had to admit, he'd never heard stories of walking, talking fish before so this had to be a kin.

At the edge of the water Treat was peering in and getting a feel for it before he was stepping in, a content note from him. He did enjoy being in the water a whole lot, that almost weightless feeling. It was amazing really. Hearing the other joining he turned his head over his shoulder and flashed a bright smile at him before he started to swim away from the shore a little more letting the fish get used to his presence.

Izaeah wrote:
Last edited by Lirilei on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 186
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

Was it judging? Well, probably a little but it was one of those things and he was sure it could be forgiven. Fish wasn't really used to the presence of others; it was just so much simpler to be on his own if he could help it, in the end. Being on his own, he knew how to stay quiet, as far as fishes were concerned and it meant easier catches.

Walking and talking fishes certainly would have been something to witness but this one particular Fish much preffered that the swimming ones remain in the water where they belonged. He had seen one particular fish before that had been hopping on the sand and it hadn't looked like it was in need of the water the way other fishes tended to; it had been more than a little confusing to him.

"Just be careful," he called out softly before they went too far, "the bottom drops very fast around here and at times you have to go far to get back to a spot where your hooves can touch the sand again." Best to mention that, right? Right. Even as he dipped under, using his tail to propel himself further out and surfacing in near-silence.

He was only a few feet further off than this one at this point and there was no sand to be had underneath his hooves, not anywhere near, anyway. Not that he minded, it was easy to keep himself afloat and well, the water felt like home.

So, in a way, maybe he was a little bit of a fish. Just a little one.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 275
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

"Oh, thank you! I appreciate the warning." he did, and he kept that in mind as he waded out into the water making sure not to go too far, it wouldn't do to suddenly find no solid ground under him, and he stuck out in the water.

He swam easily in the water even though he didn't chance going too deep, turning at one point to watch the not-fish-Fish swimming and he gave a laugh. "Not a fish...but look at you! I still think you might be a fish..." but now it was a playful tone, clearly teasing the other buck a little.

Dipping under the water a moment he came up moments later a fish in his teeth it slapping him in the face as it writhed and he walked up onto shore and tossed it up far enough it couldn't get away. He'd rinse it and eat it in a bit.
Izaeah wrote:
word count: 162
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

He snorted softly, an amused sound, really, as he watched this one. His ears twitched and perhaps, had he been of the mind to, he would have rolled his eyes most possibly. No, this time, he only snorted but had he been closer, perhaps one would have seen what could have passed for a smile on his face. "Fish I might be, as it is part of my name, but you can't eat me! Won't let you." Really not.

He watched a moment longer, content to see that he wouldn't have to fish for two, though Fish found himself not actually really minding that idea, and he waddled a little closer, enough that he knew he would touch sand briefly and then he was briefly back under that water, coming up with his own rather willful and struggling fish.

He made easy work of getting back into shallow waters and then far enough along the shore to drop his catch. There was a little dip there, it was where he'd been dropping all of his fishes when he was getting them not for later-keeping, but for tummy-filling. There was a tiny little lagoon, as it was, where he dropped live fishes for longer keeping. At least, until he decided what he wanted to do with them. Fish tended to keep that shallow water-filled spot guarded fiercely when it was in use.

Fish shook some of the water from his coat, tipping his head back towards his mock-guest for a moment, merely quietly studying him.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 264
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

There was a low laugh from Treat and a playful little snap of his teeth at the other bucks tail. He wouldn't actually bite him. Not now. Despite how fishy and tasty he looked to be. If he were a fish, he'd need help with the meal there would be so much! So it was a good thing that the other turned out to be kin, and not food.

He shook himself off after tossing the fish up onto the beach, the spray of water getting everywhere and he turned ready to wade back in and help Little Fish should he have needed it. Instead he gave a bright laugh and ran toward him. "Looks like we both caught food!" he looked back at the fish flopping slowly in the sand. "Gotta wash mine back off in a little bit. Gonna let it stop moving first though so even if I drop it, it won't get away." a mumbled again from him. He'd lost more than one meal that way.

"This is a real nice beach. Nicer than the one I left behind. Lots of pretty things here." Shells, birds, fish... and Fish. He was just so damned happy at that point really, and his tail swayed a little behind him as he stood there partly from the breeze coming from the water, and partly because he was too happy to stay still, so his tail was swaying very slightly.

"Oh good it's done flopping!" and he ambled off again to his food scaring off a bird coming near it, and grabbed the tail in his teeth before he waded back into the water and shook it around a little before coming back out once more dripping wet but not caring about that. It was warm enough!

Izaeah wrote:
word count: 304
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

Of course, there was plenty to him. Had he been food, he would have fed quite the family for some time, but one could be glad that he wasn't food. Wasn't there something, somewhere, that stated something about how when something was as bright as he was, it was a sign of danger? He couldn't recall quite properly but he knew he'd heard it being said at least once or twice. A protective measure.

Not that he needed that protective measure, of course, but still. As is so happened, Fish could keep himself safe just fine on his own, at least, most of the time.

"Make a habit of dropping fish back too soon into the water, do you?" The murmur was soft but the tone was teasing, gentle. Fish shook his head in amusement a moment, watching his own as it flip-flopped around a bit.

He took a quiet look around the just as quiet beach. It was his spot. Not that it was his so to speak, but it was quiet the vast majority of the time with only very few visitors, it suited him perfectly fine and he liked that. "I like my beach. There's a lagoon only a short way that way where I keep other fishes when I catch more than one easily."

Fish was watching, amused by the antics of this buck. It made him smile, even as he turned his attention back to his own fish. Still, a little fight left in it. He would give it a minute before before doing anything about it. Instead, he moved further up the beach, located one of the larger leaves he tended to keep under a few pebbles to ensure it didn't go anywhere, and moved that closer. There was a small breeze but not enough to warrant it would float away.

Once the leaf was down, he picked the fish back up, went back down to the water to rinse it down, and then back up, dropping it carefully on the leaf. Clean for the eating. At other times, he used the rocks but he liked his leaf.
Lirilei wrote:
word count: 363
Lirilei
Herald
Herald

Forum

Post by Lirilei »

"It's happened once or twice, or six times maybe." he answered with a laugh. "Sometimes I'm too hungry to wait for them to stop moving fully, but I think they're too weak to swim away. I'm almost always wrong." and then he had to get a new fish which made him extra hungry. It was a lose-lose situation, really!

"Ooh that's smart to keep one or two close by so you can re-catch them easily to eat." it made plenty of sense to him. He watched as Fish moved to get a leaf, and then set his fish on it. That was also smart. He was stretching out on the sand, resting the fish on his legs in a not-sandy spot to go about eating it. It was easy enough to wash it all off his legs once he stepped back into the water after all.

"It's a very nice beach, I can see why you like it so much really." a thoughtful note as he finally began to tear into his meal, a few scales glinting around his mouth as they caught the sun.
izaeah wrote:
word count: 196
Izaeah
Patron
Patron

Post by Izaeah »

"That doesn't sound like a good situation if you're not patient enough with your fish to wait for it to stop moving and it escapes." There was no bite to his words, only a thoughtful sort of note from him. It made sense to him in that way. Then again, he spent so much time in that water that, just maybe, it had taught him to be calm and patient. Maybe.

He settled down once the fish had stopped moving as well, legs actually tucked a little and one could almost, oh almost have described him as dainty though he was anything but, most of the time. At times, he'd found means of removing the scales from the fish with a rock, but he was hungry enough at this point that he didn't have quite that particular kind of patience on that day, so he went right in. He'd get some seaweed from the water later on.

"I think it's mostly that I've already made the effort to catch them, I don't want to do that twice, it doesn't make any sense. So I keep them in the little pool." Not just fishes either, but there were other things that he hadn't been able to figure out how to get into the meat of just yet, so he didn't keep these catches very often.
Lirilei wrote:
Last edited by Izaeah on Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 237