[ORP] Slice of Life

All in character interactions and roleplays.
HuniPi
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 2,819.92 Pebbles

[ORP] Slice of Life

Post by HuniPi »

Sometimes, there's just a scene, a moment, a quick exchange of sorts between specific kin, or random kin that you want to write out, or explore, or play with. Maybe it's bread crumbs that you want to see build over time that can't or you don't want to resolve within a few posts. This thread is meant for those snippets of RP for my kin, your kin, anyone's kin.

No pressure to use this, of course, but it's going to be a very disjointed sort of thread as some are less plot bunnies and more just plot crumbs I have in my head that I plan on playing out. It's not exactly a solo as people are free to respond to my posts, though doomsayer and I plan to use this for a variety of our kin. It can be set wherever you want it to be set, though for clarity's sake, I might state/specify the location atop the post.
word count: 169
doomsayer
Pebbles: 1,734.32 Pebbles

[ORP] Slice of Life

Post by doomsayer »

THE SWAMP

Life in the swamp is much less... life-and-death compared to the magma tunnels of the mountains that Iron's bloodline used to call home. Sure, you still have to hunt so that you don't starve, but he recognizes that prey is in abundance out here in the flatlands. Not every hunt is a fight for your life. If you happened to not succeed, there was always wild fruits and berries free for all to eat--one only need to ask a friendly neighbor for directions.

As all of this security is new to him, he finds the worries and trivialities of kin here completely strange. They care about appearances and knickknacks and travel and dens and relationships beyond their children and mates. They feel feelings about flowers and the sky and the weather and shiny rocks. It was all so.... odd. Yet this is where he lives now, and he is glad for the change. Slowly he will take on the tendencies of these kin. Maybe when he fully understands them, they will eventually accept him.
word count: 181
doomsayer

[ORP] Slice of Life

Post by doomsayer »

THE SWAMP, Mangrove Cluster Dens

It was a cool shaded afternoon--a typical level of light thanks to the cover provided by the interwoven mangrove branches overhead. The time for the sun to set was nearing, so Sun-Cursed was already newly awake, waiting for time to pass in the shade of their shared den.

Smoldering Ember had just returned from helping another kin muck out some mud that had inhibited the flow of water to their tributary. He was about to head back into the den after cleaning up when a Kiokote that lived just a few trees away came over and caught his attention.

Loud enough for even Sun-Cursed to hear inside the den, the Kiokote declared; "I need tuh 'ave a word wityu 'bout yer new denmate there, Smoldering Ember."

Ember stopped to put on his best neighborly face. He knew that this particular Kiokote was the neighbor that was most prone to voice out their complaints. ""Of course. My new denmate Sun-Cursed recently moved in. What seems to be the issue?"

One of the Kiokote's eyebrows popped up as if expecting that Ember was already supposed to know what the issue was. "Well, yer new denmate's walkin' 'round at unreasonable hours of the night. She's got that glow too, it be startlin' kin around here!"

""Really now? She's been here for a while now and you're the only one I've heard a complaint from so far. Is she really startling others or just you?"

The Kiokote stammerred a bit, clearly affected by Smoldering Ember's implication. "Well, it's definitely startled me! Her walking 'round when erryone's a sleepin' ain't normal, I tell ya!"

""My denmate has a condition and her lifestyle is a bit different from yours. But she doesn't pose a threat to anyone here and she definitely doesn't mean to startle you at night. Regardless, I'll tell her to avoid walking around your part of the cluster for everyone's peace of mind. How does that sound?"

The Kiokote harrumphed and looked around to see if any of the other neighbors were listening to their conversation. "You best tell her to do that then!" With a dismissive nod, the Kiokote turned and left.
word count: 383
HuniPi
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 2,819.92 Pebbles

[ORP] Slice of Life

Post by HuniPi »

THE SWAMP, Mangrove Cluster Dens

Sun-Cursed didn't used to have the luxury to laze about when she first woke up. She used to have to get a head start if she wanted to be certain she had enough time to return to her temporary lodgings. Moving in with Smoldering Ember, she was able to indulge herself just a smidge.

But old habits die hard and try as she might, she couldn't go back to sleep. So she got up to go about her day, trying to recall the distance she'd travelled the night prior to know where she should pick up in committing the mangroves to memory. As she headed out of the den, she heard voices and recognized Ember's immediately.

A smile formed on her face before she realized it and she made her way to him to join in. Except she arrived during the tail end of the conversation, just in time to hear the gruff remarks from the kiokote neighbor about someone walking around when everyone was asleep. The acha's halo dimmed slightly in its glow as her ears drooped. Even though Smoldering Ember's expression was civil, she could see the defensive mien to his stance. Was he in trouble with the neighbors?

The other kin mentioned a she. It must be about her and her nighttime jaunts. She felt her stomach knot in dismay, upset that she might be causing problems for her friend. She'll have to take better care to avoid the kiokote's portion of the mangroves. The last thing she wanted was to create some sort of rift.

Because she'd approached Ember from behind, he hadn't noticed her. So she went back into the den, pretending that it was only now that she was coming to see him. With a smile on her face and feigning complete ignorance of the conversation between kimeti and kiokote, she greeted cheerfully, "Good evening, Em!"
word count: 328
doomsayer

[ORP] Slice of Life

Post by doomsayer »

He had been watching the entire conversation between the large Kimeti and the neighboring Kiokote from a clear vantage point offered to him by this new subterranean mud tunnel he had dug. It gave him an unimpeded view of the entrance of the large Kimeti's den and deeper within.

He had already despised this neighboring Kiokote because they reprimanded his love during one of her first nights in the area. But what the Kiokote was saying about her now made his blood boil. Such outright lies and nonsense! His love was perfect and all kin would be lucky to look upon her glow! To criticize that would be worthy of punishment!

It was when he saw her come into his vision, clearly on her way out of the den, and hearing the conversation about her that his heart sank. Her glow dimmed and he could see the sadness in her eyes as her ears drooped before she made anyone aware of her presence. Yet she turned back and pretended to the large Kimeti that she was unaffected by the words that have been said. This was just another secret shared between her and him. But this, he would not let by without consequence.

That Kiokote would learn a very painful lesson in appreciating true beauty.

-----

He waited for an evening where Sun-Cursed would travel directly opposite of the territory of the Kiokote. Some of the other neighbor kin had already made her presence part of their routine, greeting her as she graced their lives with her light. These would be witnesses to prove that she would not be involved in tonight's incident.

In the dead of night, he traveled from shadow to shadow, creeping ever closer to the den of the Kiokote that dared cause Sun-Cursed to be sad. He silently appeared at the entrance of the Kiokote's den. Tonight he would enact violence on one who deserves it.
word count: 324