[PRP] Sweet things [Death Take Me x Born of Death]

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 2,859.80 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

"Thank you for coming!" The dainty zikwa called to the few lingering kin they could hear wandering away from the rock wall and berry slingers that had comprised their booth with Death. They stood in the center of the clearing with Haven siting, now quietly, at their feet. Enjoying the sweet smell of crushed berries and the lingering excitement that'd come with actually running a booth this time around.

At some point the questionable buck they'd been talking to had wandered off, and the dutiful sanddog had been able to finally relax. Born hadn't yet attributed one to the other. To them, the calmer behavior had to be due to crowd being gone. They dipped their head to nose between the dogs soft ears, then flicked an ear to listen for Death.

The big buck had been close the entire time, Born had heard him, but he'd been busy keeping watch over the range.
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 160
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist
Pebbles: 348.46 Pebbles

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

From the sidelines, Death Take Me watched the others begin to drift away from the booth, voices rising and falling as Born bid them farewell and the ensuing, obligatory responses. He had been quiet for the majority of the time they had been here, preferring to observe rather than participate - but the problem with that, a big problem, was that if he strayed too far away, unwanted attention seemed to find its way towards the zikwa.

Death had not liked it, but he hadn't intervened. Not yet, at least, because he hadn't wanted to be rude. But he had listened and he had grit his teeth and he'd made sure not to overstep.

The buck was given a hard look as he left, however. Death glanced at Haven, catching the sand dog's eye, and then he stepped towards Born, reaching to gently nudge the zikwa's side with his nose.

"They're all gone," he said, voice low. "We're alone."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 167
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Haven made a soft little whine as Death met his eye, ears flicking back then forward again, tail thumping softly against the ground. Born gave him a gentle little nudge before they received their own soft nudge in the side. Their head popped up, ears angling to catch that low voice. It warmed them to their core and they smiled up at him.

"It's so quiet now, after so much excitement." They enjoyed the quiet, the sounds of nature all around them, and more and more they enjoyed the soft sounds of Death near them. The way he breathed in the subtle gravel in his voice.

They sniffed the air, the lingering smell of sweet berries suddenly stronger, and the Zikwa giggled softly, leaning in to sniff at the buck's flank. "You smell good." Which wasn't new, he always did, but there was spots where berries had hit. To be fair, Born had their own spots from when their unwittingly wandered into the range, and a touch of color at their lips from sneaking a berry from time to time. With a little hum they flicked their tongue out, cleaning the spot on his neck they'd found. "Mmm."
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 204
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

Death wasn't opposed to meeting new people and he hadn't been opposed when Born had talked about wanting to do this in the first place; but he wasn't used to being around many, and he certainly wasn't used to speaking so much. Even staying off on the sidelines had still meant socializing with a good amount of kin who had come by, and now, after it was over, Death felt a little tired.

"Yes, very quiet," he agreed, casting a glance around them at the now deserted range. "I think most will have gone home as well, now that everything is ending."

He turned his head to say something - he couldn't remember what - when he felt Born nuzzle against his side, nose against his neck. Then he felt warmth and wetness and a flush darkened Death's face. For the first time, he was grateful that the zikwa couldn't see, because the flustered expression Death wore did not exactly feel the most becoming.

"No - that is - " He tried to sound normal. "It was a messy affair. There are berries everywhere, and some kin missed, of course."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 194
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Born couldn't see the mess, of course, but they could certainly smell it, and they could feel the occasional subtle squish of something berry shaped under their hooves when they walked. It made them wonder, briefly if perhaps they should make the effort to tidy up a bit but just the thought of it was tiring. Born leaned in solidly against the kimeti, resting their chin on his back between two spikes. "The birds and other animals will like it, I think?" They'd heard a few brave creatures venture into the range despite the excitement. It would probably be mobbed, soon.

Death was probably right about all the other kin heading home, and they had to admit that sounded very appealing. Born had gladly taken a more active role in the festivities, but even they were grateful for the peace and quiet now that things were over. "Is there anything we need to do before we can go home as well?"

Haven and gotten up from where he'd been sitting between Born's front hooves and moved to lay at Death's. The sanddog was also glad the excitement was over, and it looked like he was ready for a well deserved nap, but his ears were trained on the pair, listening.
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 217
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

Born's presence was a balm, even if Death struggled to admit it sometimes, mostly to himself. He wasn't used to the sort of closeness that the zikwa provided him, wasn't used to the constant desire to have someone near to them, to have anyone that wanted to be close to him, family not withstanding. His father was, of course, as loyal and proud of his son as ever, but Death Hunter was as quiet and stoic as Death himself, and the two of them spent a long time not saying anything at all.

Born was different. Born wanted to be near him and wanted to talk to him, and it made Death's stomach flutter anxiously. He twisted his neck around to nose gently at Born's side and said, "Yes, the birds will have quite a feast, it seems. They're already starting to come down."

A gray one with a long beak was poking at the remnants of a berry splattered against the foliage. Death nuzzled more securely into Born's side and then they were both resting their heads on each other's backs, necks twisted, like two swans entwined. He closed his eyes and breathed, letting himself relax, some of the tension of the day ebbing out.

"No," he said quietly, "Nothing more. We can go home now, I think."

Beejoux wrote:
word count: 229
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

That nuzzle, and the familiar weight of the kimeti buck's head resting in their back for them with a bite familiar warmth, comforting and cherished. They stood very still while they leave together, echoing that deep breath of contentment with one of their own.

Home.

It wasn't just the place they slept, it was more than that, now. It was Death, being with him, the warmth and safety and affection that came from him. For months now Born had been ruminating over their thoughts and feelings, trying to put a name to the way they felt about the buck.

They thought maybe they'd finally figured it out.

Their ear flicked, listening to the soft sound of the bird picking at the berries for a second or two, then they turned their he'd to nose against Death's ear while it was low enough to reach. "I am home, whenever I'm with you," they murmured quietly, a little nervously.
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 165
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

For a son who was used to living with his father and nobody else, it had taken some time (and convincing) for Death to leave. His father had not been upset so much as he had been silently lamenting the fact that, if Death left, he would be on his own again. For a while he had felt too guilty to leave, but then they had spoken about it, his father had given his blessing, and Death had felt a little better.

He didn't regret his choice, not when Born fit so neatly and so perfectly against his side. For a few seconds, he let himself just breathe, let himself bask in the warmth of their shared bodies and shared breaths and shared - whatever else this was.

Born's voice, soft and sweet, floated over to Death like petals on the wind. It took a moment for them to register, and then heat spread across Death's face, across the bridge of his snout. He pressed more securely against the zikwa and exhaled what felt like a very long time, his heart beating too fast, his pulse quick.

The silence spread, but not uncomfortably. Death cleared his throat and then said, very quietly, "You too."

A heartbeat, and then he added, just as quietly, "You are my home, too. You always will be."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 226
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

They couldn't see the color spreading under the fine fur of his snout, but Born could feel the warmth of it when they nuzzled his cheek. Could feel the way his body reacted to the words, leaning a little more heavily against them, but carefully so. Born didn't interrupt the quiet that followed, listening to the heavy beat of the big buck's heart, breaths shallow and bated.

When he spoked repeating those gentle words back to them, Born let out a held breath, nearly sagging against Death's side. They knew he had affection for them, cared for them, but express it, and have it returned. Oh, that was everything.

Their tail flicked, settling into a happy sway, and Born hummed a warm note, nuzzling up against the softer fur at the back of his ear. "I just want to stay with you, always. Would you let me do that?"

At their feet Haven was looking up at the pair, ears twitching curiosity and tail thumping quietly against the ground.
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 175
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

Post by rexcorvus »

In spite of his anxiousness, in spite of the fact that he felt undeniably new to all of this, the answer to Born's question came easily, slipping free from Death's mouth before he could stop it.

"Yes, of course."

It felt like an obvious answer, something he didn't even have to think about. He nuzzled into the zikwa's hair, enjoying the warmth, the closeness, the strange sense of comfort and familiarity the other kin brought. It was unlike anything Death had felt before but he knew he didn't want to let it go.

Not now, not ever.

Death's smile was tentative, small; Born wouldn't be able to see it, but he'd be able to hear it in Death's voice as he said, "We should go home now. Are you ready?"
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 141
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

That confirmation made the dainty zikwa's heart swell, warming through down to the tips of their hooves. They nuzzled him again, breathing deeply of that warm, familiar scent that had become so deeply important to them before they'd even realized what was happening.

At his suggestion Born lifted their head, smiling back up at him, soft ears perked happily. "Yes, I'm ready."

They would follow him anywhere, they thought. Their trust in the big buck absolute. "Let's go home."

Haven, sensing they were about to head off, got back to his feet and shook himself out, tail wagging sedately behind him. Matching the continued gentle sway of his master's.
kuropeco wrote:fin!
word count: 117