[AU PRP] Cross That Bridge When We Get to It

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Lutz
Pebbles: 1,500.06 Pebbles

Post by Lutz »

"And that's why I don't eat Zap apple jam anymore," a voice said emphatically from down the road, disturbing the birds in the trees that were nestled along the banks of the river. Soon enough, two figures came around the bend in the path, a large cart being pulled behind them. The cart was piled high with crystals and rare stones, some so large it was a wonder how they got into the cart. An orange and purple pegasus laughed at his own story, shaking his head with mirth.

"Learning through experience is something I value but not that. I'd rather- oh!"

Echoed Chorus stopped short as he finally looked towards the river, his wings fluffing up in surprise at what lay before them. Or rather...what didn't lay before them. This was a road Echo traveled frequently and knew like the back of his hoof, so to see the river with no bridge was startling. Clearly something had happened here as the supports were still in place, but the part that allowed ponies to cross the river had been removed or perhaps destroyed. There were large, splintered pieces sticking to the supports still. Whatever had happened, it had been rather violent.

"Oh dear! Look, it's gone!" he moaned, glancing at his friend beside him. "This is awful! I wonder what happened..."
word count: 227
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 2,859.80 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

"Oh yeah, I'm sure that was quite the --" Look This Way paused when Echoed gadped, and his ears lay back as he took in what was left of the bridge. This road was a familiar one, well walked and popular. Look honestly wasn't sure if there was another that would take them to where they needed to be, and even if they could find one, how far out of their way would it take them?

Look wanted to be back before nightfall, and now, with this? He just didn't know.

"Looks like it got washed out. Maybe that big storm from a few nights ago?" He chewed at his lip, then looked over at Echoed. The Pegasus could fly over, but that didn't do them a whole lot of good.

"How deep is it, do you think?" Maybe they could walk through?
Lutz wrote:
word count: 148
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Echo trotted up to the edge of the river to inspect what remained of the bridge. He could see that the supports that were left looked pretty sturdy down in the river bottom, but that wouldn't help them much if there was nothing on top.

"Maybe," he agreed mournfully before turning back to his friend. "What are we going to do? I don't know where the next bridge is...and the river is definitely waaaay too deep in the middle to walk across." They might make it about a third of the way but he knew from playing in the river that the middle was far beyond his reach. He'd jumped off the bridge that was no longer there to cannonball into the depths when he'd been a colt.

"Maybe we can see if any of the boards are still here?" he asked, already looking around. They'd need a lot of them to rebuild the bridge, though, so even if they found a few it wouldn't be very helpful.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 177
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Look edged up closer, peering over the pegasus' shoulder to get a good look at the splintered wood and the water below. He knew at a glance Echoed was right, they weren't going to be able to just walk across, but maybe...

The bigger buck hummed a thoughtful note and glanced back at the cart, specifically the siding. It looked quite sturdy, and it was sealed, as far as he could tell. Look walked back to it, circling it slowly, head dipping to look at the base planks under the thing. Every so often he'd look up again the glance at the river, then back at the cart.

"I might have an idea."
Lutz wrote:
word count: 117
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Echoed Chorus fretted softly as Look remained silent beside him, ever the thoughtful but quiet type to Echo's loud and energetic personality. His purple wings fluttered as he jumped into the air, flying back and forth over the river to see if there was anything on the other side, or perhaps a shallower part. When he spotted Look inspecting the cart he returned to his side, trotting as he landed to take some of the momentum of his flight.

"Do you?" he asked eagerly. "What is it? Can I help?" He had no clue how they were going to get their wagon across other than Echo himself carrying each individual rock and gem, some of which weighed more than him! It really wasn't a viable option, unfortunately. Look was bigger and could probably haul more than Echo on his own, but Look couldn't fly.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 149
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

He looked up as Echoed fluttered back over and wandered over to him, smiling softly. "Yes, you can help. These carts are sealed up, it should float if we put it in the river, but we're going to have to guide it across." Assuming it didn't simply stink under the weight of their cargo. Look glanced up at the gems again.

"There's a chance we lose all of it," he warned, stepping away from the cart to look along the river bank for an easy place to get in and out again. "But it's crafted well, I recognize the makers mark."
Lutz wrote:I'm so sorry I've been slow, this week's been hell x.x
word count: 122
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Echo squinted at the cart as Look spoke. It looked like any old cart to him, but apparently it was sealed? He recognized the maker? What in Equestria...

"Wait, hold on, you what?" Echo asked, looking back at his friend. "It's crafted well? How can you tell? It looks like any other cart to me." He walked over to the cart and circled it slowly, wondering if they really could float it across. The river was definitely too deep for the wheels to touch but if they could get behind and push it...

"Are you sure it's not gonna sink?" he asked, turning to look quizzically at Look.
Beejoux wrote:No worries! Busy time of year ;w; You got this!
word count: 122
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

"Y-yeah," he confirmed, looking a little sheepish. "My family built it. I assure you, it won't sink." He walked around the cart, flicking his tail towards a wood brand that look like a hammer and nails. "That's my dad's mark."

Look didn't speak of his family much, he hadn't followed in his family's footsteps, turning instead to the musical arts. But he'd spent plenty of time working at the forge and around the family business. He knew what his family was capable of.
lutz wrote:
word count: 93
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

"Whoa whoa whoa, hold your earth ponies," Echo said as he fluttered his wings with delight. "Your family built this?! That's so cool! I didn't know your family built stuff!" Echo had always been rather helpless when it came to physical art or construction, so the fact that Look had come from a family of craftsponies was so cool!

"But hey, if your dad made it, I totally trust you know what it can and can't do,' he said with a grin. "Let's turn this thing into a boat! Do we just push and once the wheels can't touch it should just...float along?" If that were the case he could easily push from behind while Look swam along, and once they got to the other side he could harness himself up again and they could pull and push it out! It was all starting to come together now.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 156
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

"Um, yes," he chuckled, ears laying back shyly. "I suppose it is." There was certainly talent behind it, it had just not been the direction Look had wanted to go in, much to his parents chagrin.

He looked at the river, and then moved to slip back into his harness at the front. "Yes, I think that'll work fine. Are you ready?"
Lutz wrote:
word count: 65
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Once Look got into position, Echo fluttered to the back of the cart, hovering a few feet off the ground, his hooves pressed against the back of the cart.

“Yup, ready!” he called back, starting to push gently so he didn’t accidentally run Look over. “Let’s do this!”
“Beejoux” wrote:
word count: 52
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Look waited for the pegasus to flutter back, then nodded as he confirmed he was ready. "Alright, let's do this." It would be fine. It would work.

Digging hooves into the ground, Look got the cart moving, and together they got it off the road and down to the bank. The water was chilly when Look stepped into it, but he wasn't going to stop. It was bright and sunny out, and he'd be fine once they reached the other side.

And true to his word, once the water was up to his neck, when the base of the cart was resting on the water, it did indeed float. Lok started swimming, pulling the cart as Echoed pushed from behind.
Lutz wrote:
word count: 125
Lutz

Post by Lutz »

Echo flew slowly behind the cart, pushing very gently so Look could find the best pathway to the river. Finally he heard the splash of water under hooves and wheels, and soon enough the wagon was floating.

“Ha! It’s working, Look,” he said with glee, beating his wings harder so Look didn’t have to swim and pull. The cart bobbed lightly on the surface and, even though there was a bit of a current, they were making good headway. When they reached the other side he began to flap harder, helping Look get the wagon back into dry land.

“We did it!” he said with a cheer, flying back to the front of the cart to slide into his half of the harness. “You’re brilliant, Look! That worked perfectly.” He bumped his shoulder against Look’s with a grin before laughing softly.

“You’re soaking wet! Somehow I thought you’d be dry.”
“Beejoux” wrote:I think we can wrap it in your next post!
word count: 168
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

With Echoed's help they got the cart across, and as soon as his hooves touched ground the earth pony started pulling, dragging the cart out of the water and up on the river bank. When it was solidly on dry ground he finally stopped, squirming out of the harness with a little shiver. "Why would I be dry?" He laughed, eyeing the pegasus as he got in close enough to bump shoulders.

With a playful little smile he shook, sending water all around him in a wide circle, and hopefully giving his friend a little shower.

"Let's get this thing where it needs to be, then we can find a nice place to dry off properly."
lutz wrote:Done!
word count: 121