[B] Breaking the News (Fisheye/Brother Shark/Flower on a Tree) [FIN]

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist
Pebbles: 1,515.34 Pebbles

Forum

[B] Breaking the News (Fisheye/Brother Shark/Flower on a Tree) [FIN]

Post by Appeal »

Fisheye stood on the edge of the beach, looking into the field that encompassed their territory. She was thinking thoughtfully, her eyes scanning the area carefully as if she was looking for something specifically. Occasionally she'd glance over her shoulder to the beach behind her as if expecting something to show up but mostly her gaze was on the field, specifically on the plants that were beginning to show signs of spring.
Image Image
Yipping and yapping behind her were Swell and Surge. They were close enough to Fisheye to respond but far enough that their shenanigans weren't disruptive. She was indeed undisturbed by them and she sighed under the warm spring sun. It was a beautiful day to do this.

She had called for Brother Shark to meet her here so hopefully he wouldn't keep her waiting long but the weather was good.
Beejoux wrote:I'll throw Flower on a Tree in after!~
word count: 156
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 1,511.74 Pebbles
Kin Journal: viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

[B] Breaking the News (Fisheye/Brother Shark/Flower on a Tree)

Post by Beejoux »

Brother Shark had been off on one of his numerous treks away from the tribe's territory to scout, trade, hunt, gather, or whatever else was needed and available. He hadn't been gone for long though before word had reached him that Fisheye was looking for him, which was fairly unusual. It lent urgency to his return, the buck curious as to what might be going on that needed his attention.

He could see her waiting for him as he crested a small hill and started making his way through the plain that butted up against the sea grass and beach. Chum was with him, the badger wobbling along at his feet, but the grumpy beast branched off to head back to their den once they were within sight of it. Bait, who'd been left behind to menace the rest of the tribe, would likely notice him soon and come tearing up the beach yapping and snapping, but at least for the moment the only one that seemed aware of his arrival was Fisheye.

"What's going on?" he asked when he was close enough to be heard, sharp maw stretched in one of his usual smiles.
appeal wrote:
word count: 201
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist

Forum

Post by Appeal »

It was Swell and Surge that first noticed Brother Shark's approach, Fisheye's attention on a soft song that seemed to be echoing from the field. It was getting closer and closer to the beach, enticing the doe. Soon the yipping and yapping turned to more of a snarl when Brother Shark drew near, drawing her attention away from the field and towards the buck. A smile fell across her face as she turned to greet him, her hair blowing gently in the spring breeze. Her relaxed nature spread toward the shuppies and the snarling stopped as the shuppies relaxed a little, instead playfully snapping at each other and chasing each other around Fisheye.

"You've made it back," she said pleased, giving the shuppies nothing more than a glance. "I was unsure how long you'd be away, and this is certainly not messenger news and I didn't want it to be a surprise when you next arrived home. I do hope it did not cause too much trouble."

Truly, it was news best delivered personally.

"Brother Shark, I am pleased to inform you that you're going to be a father."

With her back on the field and her attention fully on Brother Shark now, she didn't notice that the song was quite loud now. Not only that, the source of the song was visible. It was a buck? No... it was a stag. As he approached, the path around him was becoming increasingly more colourful. The closer he came, the more apparent it was that he causing the flowers to all bloom. He was heralding spring all around him.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 277
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Dark scaled brows arched as she started to explain, his smiling fading slowly. Whatever she had to tell him sounded important, serious, and for a brief moment he wondered if something was wrong, but her body language and tone wasn't right for that; serious, but calm. He listened quietly, long tail flicking around his haunches.

Then she was announcing the news that had been so important she'd had him called back, and Brother Shark blinked at her, a little surprised. Not by the mechanics of it all, he was well aware of how these sorts of things went, and of course there was always a chance. But his brood with Sea Love was still on the younger side.

His timing was..questionable. He'd have a whole herd of foals nipping at his ankles at this rate.

Still, he couldn't help the slow spread of a grin across his toothy maw as it really sank in for him. Fisheye was a fine leader, a lovely doe, and their children together would be wonderful additions to the Cres. "That is certainly news worth hurrying home to hear," he mused, head tilting to sweet glowing eyes down along her side, curious if her belly was swelling yet. He moved forward, brushing his cheek along hers, only just then noticing the other buck on the edge of the field.
appeal wrote:
word count: 231
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist

Forum

Post by Appeal »

Fisheye was pleased by his reaction, the weight of the news lifted off her like the swell of the tide. She was completely immersed in the moment, and unlike Brother Shark, she had not yet noticed the presence of another.

"I'm so pleased you made it home with such haste. I was thinking we could go find Look-See... she might be down on the beach, I believe she often is, although she might have wandered away. Perhaps Real Big Fish is back from her travels, too. I'd love to receive their blessing for the birth," she was smiling, very excited about the idea of having a strong clutch for the tribe.

Meanwhile, Flower on a Tree was standing there, watching the scene about as awkwardly as one could. He certainly hadn't intended to intrude upon such a private meeting but was so extremely excited about spring that he couldn't help but be out there to celebrate. Winter was long, so very long, and it wasn't nearly as fun as spring! He wasn't singing very loudly but he hadn't stopped earlier, some of the flowers around him very slowly blooming to his voice.

He really should go, but imagine how much nicer this field would look fully bloomed!

It was around now that Fisheye heard the song, it was soft but the stag was close enough that her ears picked up on it. She turned her head, an expression of annoyance fluttering across her face as she looked to see who was interrupting this very important meeting.

This was definitely not someone she expected to see. It wasn't a tribe member, and even far from expected, it was a stag she'd never see before. It seemed like a twist of fate that she'd asked to find one and then one... appeared! It had to be fate that one would show up in her hour of need. She composed herself quickly from the annoyance that displayed earlier.

"Brother Shark, we seem to have an honoured guest."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 347
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Shark's attention flicked between Fisheye and the buck as she spoke of finding kin to bless their babies. It was a wonderful idea, he absolutely agreed, but he was distracted. The buck on the tree line was watching them awkwardly, not walking away, but not making himself known, and Shark didn't recognize him from the tribe or his wanderings. He was about to call out to him, to question what he wanted, but Fisheye turned, noticed.

He blinked at her assessment of the situation, looking up at the guest in question a little more critically.

Now he could see it, or perhaps sense it. Either way, the truth of what this buck was was undeniable to him. "So we do." He tipped his head, bumping his snout against the side of her head as he took a step closer to him. "Hello. Welcome to the Crescent Bay." He fell short of asking what they could do for the pale buck. They needed something from him, instead.
appeal wrote:
word count: 170
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist

Forum

Post by Appeal »

Flower on a Tree stood there so awkwardly you could cut the tension he felt with a rock. Was he intruding on something? Oh no, was this private? Oh no, they were speaking to him. Oh no. Anxiety began to build up inside of the stag when a spiritual humblebee appeared near him, and he focused. It was fine, it was fine. He was fine.

"I... The Crescent Bay? I was... I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was intruding. I..." he took a deep breath.

"I was just heralding spring!" This he said with excitement. These were not the anxious, stumbling sentences from before.

Fisheye listened carefully, leaning her shoulder against Brother Shark. She was assessing the situation carefully, reading this stag like the tide on the sand. She watched the little spiritual humblebee buzz around the stag, watch his reactions to it. Everything she said next was carefully thought out.

"Yes, I'm Fisheye and welcome to our seaside tribe. We don't often get guests all the way out here," she said softly. "I'm afraid it's rare that anyone tends to the beautiful flowers that grow on our borders. How delighted we are that you've taken it upon yourself to help them along. I'm sure it will be beautiful when you're done, and then we can enjoy spring quite thoroughly. We do appreciate spring here in The Crescent Bay, as it is a great time for many things to bloom in the swamp. We will also be ushering in a beautiful spring ourselves, won't we Brother Shark?"

Fisheye nudged her mate gently, urging him on.

Flower on a Tree stood there, his glowing pink eyes looking at the flowers at his feet that he carefully stood around. His ears were perked up, listening though. His eyes looked up toward Fisheye, following the trail over to the buck he assumed was Brother Shark.

He realized now that he hadn't quite introduced himself yet but he struggled to get the words out of his mouth.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 346
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Dark brown arched as Brother Shark observed the strange buck that had stumbled upon him. The seemed quite nervous, or least he did, before a bumblebee started bearded him, buzzing gently around his head. Then what was awkward came out more sure, more confident. It was quite curious.

He might have asked about it, but Fisheye spoke first, and really, that was for the best. She spoke with a measure of care and diplomacy that Brother Shark just did not possess. So he kept his toothy maw shut and just listened, until prompted by the judge on his shoulder.

"Oh yes, Fish was just delivering the news to me that we're expecting foals soon." He smiled, swallowing down any sense of worry that came with that knowledge. Babies were good news, even if he still had young ones to worry over. They were old enough now, perhaps they could help.
appeal wrote:
word count: 153
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist

Forum

Post by Appeal »

Fisheye smiled at Brother Shark, nodding her head softly as she glanced downward.

"Yes, I do hope the clutch is as strong as their father. It can be quite harsh on the coast."

Flower on a Tree's eyes followed along as his thoughts processed what was happening. He had disrupted a very intimate moment! He hadn't meant to, and he didn't read the field very well. Fisheye wasn't upset about Flower on a Tree's appearance but the stag thought he owed them an apology for his disruption. He knew a great way to apologize, something that would surely please the expectant mother.

The floral stag leaned over softly and carefully picked up one of the flowers that lay on the ground. He placed it in Fisheye's hair gently, nodding his head softly as his crown of budding flowers shook slightly with the movement and his deep pink eyes glowed brightly.

Placing the flower might be a flourish that could be considered unnecessary but it was an extremely important step to Flower on a Tree, he smiled in a sheepish way. Bashful. This would be his first blessing, did he do it right?

"Please take my blessing was an apology. I did not mean to... disrupt such an intimate moment between two."

Fisheye smiled as she felt quite successful. She looked at Brother Shark, and then back to Flower on a Tree as she spoke, "It was no intrusion. You're always welcome to bring luck to our tribe with your visit but thank you, I'm certain this clutch will be worry free now."

Flower on a Tree had completely forgotten to introduce himself. Well. It was probably too awkward now. Right? The stag turned to leave, feeling satisfied with the solution.

"Good stag, might we get your name?" She asked as he turned to go.

A pause.

A very awkward pause.

So awkward.

"My name is Flower on a Tree."

He was very embarrassed. He hoped it wouldn't come up, and he left in a hurry.

Fisheye turned to Brother Shark, nudging him slightly. "That was convenient," she said. "Quite useful, I should say. Now that that's out of the way, what would you like to do with the rest of our day?"
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 384
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Oh, she thought he was strong. Brother Shark grinned toothily, very pleased with that observation of him by someone he held in such high regard as Fisheye. He couldn't help feeling a little smug. Not just to be in her good graces, but to sire children with her, even if those foals' arrival meant his life being a little hectic, with young kin still depending on him.

Well, he could deal with hectic. Would have to, really. These were his kids, he wanted to be there for them.

The sea colored buck watched curiously as their visitor leaned in to place a flower in Fish's hair, brows arching, but any question he had about the gesture was answered almost immediately. A blessing. "No apology needed," he added, not sure if the reassurances did anything to ease the paler buck's anxieties. He seemed ready to bolt.

When he did leave, pausing only to give his name as Fish asked for it, Brother Shark dipped his head to him in gratitude.

"Yes, very good timing." He looked down at the doe with a crooked smile. "Whatever you want to do." He was here now, the day was young a d the sun was bright.
appeal wrote:
word count: 207