22 Feb 20, 14:30 PM » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Matope

Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Open] Winter Solstice - The Bonfire  (Read 180 times)

Baneful

[Open] Winter Solstice - The Bonfire
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »

IC Information

The bonfire is another yearly ritual for the tribe, with great anticipation around it. It is lit as part of the story of the death of the sun king, with the fire brought from far away solely for that purpose. The firebearers are amongst the strongest and fittest in the tribe and bring it to light the fire. Any year where the fire cannot be found or lit is considered of ill omen and that it will be a very long time until summer.

Tonight however the fire is lit, blazing in the middle of the hard packed earth, at a safe distance from the trees. It is considered good luck to bring a stone with a lucky mark upon it to lay around the perimeter of the fire as an offering to the spirits of the sun and of flame. There is dancing about the bonfire but the dancing is a primal and exhausting sort, designed to bleed weakness from the body through exertion rather than to exhibit elegance and rhythm.

The bonfire is a stark place of dark and light, where shadows seem to come alive or where the shadows of the dancers stretch long and unnatural behind them as the embers flicker up like fireflies into the cold night sky.

OOC Information

In this event, kin are welcome to roll or choose prompts from the below list to write a short interaction between their kin and the bonfire. It is encouraged to use this location as an rp setting also, as the bonfire is an important symbol for the tribe.

1.   The mushrooms on offer make you feel quite strange and you’d swear you can see more than just the dancers in the glade. What do you see?
2.   You decide to dance with the others and time seems to blur in the warmth of the flickering flame until you hover on the edge of absolute exhaustion, how does this feel?
3.   It is said that some kin see the faces of loved ones gone past in the flames of the solstice fire, do you see anyone in the fire?
4.   The heat is incredible up close to the fire and it is easy to feel dizzy from the warmth and smoke, how do you deal with this?
5.   Out on the edges of the fire, the shadows are terrifying and it is said that the spirits hunt the forest edge for those who move too far from the dance. Is your kin moved by this?
6.   The sky seems darker when set against the searing fire, there are those present who interpret the stars, are the stars important to your kin? If so why?
7.   The snapping and cracking of the branches mingles with the fire’s roar, it is a strange sound that touches primal chords in the heart of those of the swamp, what does it remind your kin of?
8.   The fire needs fed and some are enlisted to throw new wood onto the fire, are you strong enough to pay tribute to the fire spirits?
9.   The dancers dance to a drumbeat of hooves on hollow logs, resonating through the clearing, all are welcome to join, do you join in or merely watch the players?
10.   Leaping over the fire is considered good luck for fertility for the coming year and does and bucks alike who feel bold make the jump? Do you join them? Are you singed by the attempt?
To claim ticket, post the below! Make sure you've posted your preference list at least once (the form is in the prize post)

Only claim a ticket once per event!

Code: [Select]

[quote][size=24pt][color=red][b]Begin the dance![/b][/color][/size]
[b]I would like to claim my ticket! I know I can only do this once![/b][/quote]

Blinded By Silence

Re: [Open] Winter Solstice - The Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
{alt}
The sky seems darker when set against the searing fire, there are those present who interpret the stars, are the stars important to your kin? If so why?

The pensive back hung back from the fire, hovering just outside the reach of its bright glow. From his spot on the back lines of life, he watched the dancers shake the sweat from their limbs. He watched as droplets landed in the blazing inferno, sizzling and instantly evaporating, becoming one with the smoke that lifted higher and higher into the sky only to be swallowed up by the inky blackness that held the stars above them. He felt the weight on the stone in his mouth, felt his breath move around his fangs and cling to its smooth surface. Idily, he felt his tongue find the hole worn down in its center.

It wasn't the stars that called him, however. No. It was the never-ending blackness that was beyond them. What was it? Was it anything at all? Darkness had always called him, ever since his naming dream all those years ago. Why?

He did not know. He knew nothing. Not why he was here, placing the seeing-stone as close to the fire as he dared to push it. Nor why these kin where here, dancing as if to drain themselves.

But he did know one thing. That the darkness held the answers he was searching for. And one day, he would find them.

Begin the dance!
I would like to claim my ticket! I know I can only do this once!

Lirilei

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
8.   The fire needs fed and some are enlisted to throw new wood onto the fire, are you strong enough to pay tribute to the fire spirits?

{alt}
He wasn't about to chance things with his inability to see. He didn't want to dance and end up getting too close to the fire and get burned, and when he heard other kin were not only dancing close but jumping over the fire he shuddered a little. Maybe if one had their sight it wasn't so terrifying but for him the idea was just too much.

Still he wanted to do something to help, and well, he got snared into helping as well, blind or not. So here he was with sticks and branches for the fire though he was mostly chucking in the sticks. He could do it from a short distance and still get them in. Though he had to have another kin make sure he had a clear shot to the flames else he'd have accidentally hit others with his throws. Finally though he had to grab a bigger one and do more than throw. He had to get closer, and he was now standing there branch in mouth mesmerized by the heat.

The snaps and crackles of the fire transfixed him a moment, and finally with a deep breath he took one step forward, then another, till he was as close as he dared and with some difficulty got the branch into the fire. He was unaware of another kin coming behind him to quickly finish pushing it into the roaring fire, since some of it was sticking out dangerously, but they commended him on a job well done for one dealing with a lack of sight. The praise warmed him more than the fire!

Begin the dance!

Dawns_Stars145

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
10. Leaping over the fire is considered good luck for fertility for the coming year and does and bucks alike who feel bold make the jump? Do you join them? Are you singed by the attempt?
{alt}
The glow of the fire drew Honeyglow in from the
cold. It felt like home basking in the glow of the flames. The colors of her scales glowing in the light of the fire as if she was a part of it come alive. She noticed the other kin leaping over the fire, some clearing it safely and the others who are not so lucky landed with singed legs or tails. She decided to try her luck and leap over the fire. She backed up so she could get a running start, making sure the path was clear so not to run into another kin and hurt them and herself. She bolted towards the fire and as soon as she was close, she jumped with all her might. She tucked her legs up as she hit the highest point, this action keeping her legs from hitting the flames licking at her heels, it almost seemed to be moving away from her as she flew over it, hair billowing behind her. She landed safely on the other side, no burns as far as she could tell. Hair check, tail check, leg check. All burn free. She felt lucky to have made it.

Begin the dance!
Hope you have a good day :D

Izaeah

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
{alt}

3.   It is said that some kin see the faces of loved ones gone past in the flames of the solstice fire, do you see anyone in the fire?

It wasn't that he was following the buck around, it just so happened that they seemed to be at the same place at the same time, really! Song had barely noticed the presence of others, as he'd drawn closer to the fire but still keeping at a slight distance. The heat of the flames reminded him of something fuzzy from his past, something he couldn't quite rightfully place. It was what kept him away, he was certain.

He was listening to the soft crackle of the fire, letting the almost familiar sound lull him into a sense of peace, even as he was certain that he could see faces in the flames but... really, how could that be? No, that couldn't be right but his mind was settling on a strange haze, a comfortable sort of warmth that kept him rooted to the spot, even as he took in the faces seeming to dance in the flames that licked at the sky and the belly of the jumpers.

There was the sound of a thump not far from him, a jumper landing a slight distance off but Song only barely flicked an ear in that direction before he was focused on the flames once more, there just was... that face, why did it seem so familiar to him? It was so young, so long ago--perhaps not so--and he couldn't pinpoint its origins. A friend, most likely, someone from his youth, when he'd still been a young, playful foal and when his song truly did inspire others?

Song felt himself drawn towards the fire but it was someone bumping into his shoulder--whether accidentally or not--that pulled him back to the surface. He shook the haze off, his gaze drawn away from the fire as he stepped back, shivering when the heat of the flames retreated with his own steps. This was enough.

Begin the dance!

WargazmMonkey

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
The mushrooms on offer make you feel quite strange and you’d swear you can see more than just the dancers in the glade. Still, the dancers move to a drumbeat of hooves on hollow logs, resonating through the clearing. Almost as loud, the snapping and cracking of the branches mingles with the fire’s roar, it is a strange sound that touches primal chords in the heart of those of the swamp.

In Excess of Chaos is her name, and what a befitting name it was, because this was exactly the gathering she loved to attend. She came upon the solstice bonfire at the perfect moment, just in time to sample the best delicacy she had ever had: Mushrooms. There was no one in front of her as she sidled up next to the gorgeous Kimeti distributing the mushrooms. With the a graceful movement, she snatched up a mouthful of the little morsels. Thanking the Musher with a bat of her eyes, she leaned over and kissed the the side of his face before turning toward the fire. One last tail swish, and those close by turned in curiosity as the Musher yelped in exclamation. Looking over her shoulder, she confirmed her accuracy with a smirk as the other Kin cast a longing glance and rubbed his sore hind quarters.

It wasn't long until the mushrooms started to take effect, so she laid down close to the fire and proceeded to groom herself. She wasnt alone for long however, for eventually the stars came down from the heavens and alighted next to her. They glistened with  the intensity that only her own elegance could rival.  Up from the ground, the worms came out to play and started wiggling in what she could only assume was a dance meant to seduce the stars around her. The beat of the hooves sped her from one eternity to another as the fire changed from bright red to cool blue to iridescent green. the whole while she sat in longing embrace of the heavens and the earth. she eventually felt another Kin's hoof on what she thought was her shoulder and heard words that sounded as foreign to her as the call of an owl does to an beetle. suddenly the world dropped from beneath her and sped away, leaving her soaring over grass blade and anthill until she alighted behind the giant brown shape of the drum-log.

The drumming had gotten louder as the earth spun away beneath her but now all was silent. She looked around her and saw faces of kin she knew but not as she knew them. Every face was different in some way. All their attributes exaggerated to a grossly disproportionate ratio. Most were staring in silence, but a few spoke sounds that she could not decipher. Suddenly the urge to reignite the beat of the log overcame her. leaning back on her haunches, she lifted her hooves. lowering one, then the other, then lifting them again. She repeated this until the beat of her hooves matched the beat in her head. As soon as she had started, the distorted Kin around her yelled in excitement, some moving away towards the "dancing field" that surrounded the fire. The others stayer and joined in to the beat of her drums. She beat and beat until her fur was soaked and her breath ragged. When her energy was finally expended, she leaned over and collapsed.

She lay there, until the earth noticed her. The worms of the swamp returned, and upon their wriggling backs, carried her to the Kimeti that had been her fancy earlier that night. He had been sitting there, on the edge of the light, watching her as she performed. As she was delivered to his side, and the worms disappeared beneath the earth again, he leaned over and repaid her kiss from earlier. She was exhausted, but he was too gorgeous to ignore, so she leaned into his kiss, content for now with the simple touch. Out from under him he rolled a small item and pushed some towards her. She looked down, to see the last of his stash of mushrooms laid out before her. Taking a small mouthful, she looked at him expectantly as he snatched up the rest.

They laid there, in their waking dreams, together as the fire crackled and snapped. The higher the flames soared, the stronger their instincts pulled them on them. It wasn't long before she could not resist them any longer. Looking at her current partner, she got an idea. With a quirk snap, she nibbled on his ear and nuzzled his neck. The hint was noticed and he bit her lip in response. At that they both rose, carried by rays of light from the stars that still lingered around them, and glided away from the fire into the night.

Begin the dance!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:17:47 AM »
2.   You decide to dance with the others and time seems to blur in the warmth of the flickering flame until you hover on the edge of absolute exhaustion, how does this feel?

{alt}
There was still a warm glow in Watch Me’s heart as he approached the bonfire, a tender feeling of love for everyone around him. Some vague part of his brain knew it was the mushrooms fault but he didn’t care one way or the other, he kept a firm hold of the feeling simply because it felt good and right and this was the best way to enjoy the festival.

The Kiokote drew closer, pressing in beside other kin to watch the dancers coming and going. They spun and twirled so beautifully despite the intensity, in and out. Some leaving the dance and other entering, all seamlessly, as if planned. They worshipped the fire with their bodies and their movements. How beautiful!

And how could he not join in?

First he glanced to each side, offering warm love to each kin beside him, so they knew how much he adored them. Somewhere in the throng he thought he spied familiar colours, his son, caught up in the excitement as well. They hadn’t come together but Watch Me had announced his trip before his departure so he wasn’t surprised.

Ready to begin his part in the show, he stepped forward, head high, showing off his face and neck, enjoying the heat of the bonfire as he drew closer.

And then he joined the dance.

It took a sway and a step, then he slid right in to an empty space, finding his rhythm with practised ease. For a Kiokote he was light on his hooves, he had a grace that mimicked the Acha he loved so much.

It took very little focus and his mind untethered, floating away as he followed the other kin around the fire. The warmth in his side was almost too much, searing the more he moved and his body heated but it was never enough to stop. Soon the crowd disappeared and there was only the shadowy movements of the kin ahead, their kicks, their head tosses.

Watch Me made up his own dance but it fit anyway. This was a primal time. When anything worked, as long you kept going.

He could not bear to tear himself away, consumed entirely. The world around him blurred. There was no thoughts for his tribe, family or loved ones. Not a single space in his mind for anything other than the here and now, pushing on, following the worn track around the bonfire, feeling the bite of the cold wind on one side and the other side sweltering.

At some point, after an amount of time he would never know, his breath started to catch in his lungs. Even his Kiokote stamina was starting to fail, one leg nearly buckling beneath when he spun on his hind legs.

Exhaustion ran him down, starting dragging his body to the earth, each pull of air a desperate HUFF HUFF. He’d never been quite so tired before. And yet, he wanted to keep dancing.

Watch Me stumbled again and a sharp stab of pain in his side finally woke him from his trance. It was too much. He wheezed, barely making it out of the way before he collapsed on the cold earth, head turned up towards the sky. The stars had moved, shifting across the sky, and the moon had begun to sink.

Watch Me closed his eyes, weary to the bone.

Begin the dance!

FrostyPeaches

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »
Begin the dance!
9.   The dancers dance to a drumbeat of hooves on hollow logs, resonating through the clearing, all are welcome to join, do you join in or merely watch the players?

{alt}

The heat of the bonfire travelled little distances through the air before mingling into the cold winter night's air and vanish. The booths have all closed up and most of the kin and familiars have started their journey back to where they came from. The night was anything but quiet. The crackling of dried wood danced in the fire as Dance of Death approached the warm feeling. She watched as the shadows danced and twists in the light. A small smile crept over her face as she closed her eyes and listened. The thumping of hooves on hollow logs intertwined with the thuds of hooves stomping onto solid earth had a beautiful rhythm. First, she tapped along with just one hoof, to catch up with the tune. Then she opened her eyes, still tapping, and watching others dance with perfection. She stood still only for a moment, and ran in to join the other dancers. She started at the end first, in order to get the choreography right to the core, and slowly as time passes, she had moved into the center line and danced alongside with the strongest of firebearers. She was really happy that night, to be able to move and sway for a very long time with new kind and strong kin. It was a new type of dance, and she learned it and was grateful to have been a part of such a big event. It was quite tiring but she wanted to try and keep on dancing with them until the very end. Death will always dance when the option is given to her.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:58:07 AM »
10.   Leaping over the fire is considered good luck for fertility for the coming year and does and bucks alike who feel bold make the jump? Do you join them? Are you singed by the attempt?

Roaring fire and crackling wood and flame. Dancers danced. The night sky sparkled with what seemed like delight. Three Moons, however; was a bit low on mood when he'd made it here. This day hadn't been the best for him. Side glances thrown his way with sneers and curses due to his 'unwieldy brashness' as some had put it. He'd even caught a few kicks and horn jabs here and there. The young Kimeti buck just couldn't seem to catch a break.

However... glancing around the bonfire he could see all the pretty does and bucks enjoying their time here. As he wandered he found himself stomping his steps in time with the drum  and even threw in a few flailing, kicking jumps. So while snorting and wildly enjoying himself a though had crossed his mind. Jump the fire. Its good luck. Jump. JUMP!

Before he could stop himself he was right there, staring into the gaze of that beautiful beast of a blaze. Yes. This is it. A daring grin crept across his face. Taking a few steps back, he gauged the distance. A few more steps back and he could just about see himself making it. A deep breath and he went for it.

The thundering of his hooves muted by the roar of the fire stopped abruptly as he launched himself into the air. Legs tucked and head and ears lowered as if planning to butt whatever was on the other side. He felt the immense heat cover him, his eyes squinting closed as the fire leapt around him before suddenly feeling the cool air hit his face and the rest of him.

Stretching his legs for the landing he found a nice clear spot. His front hooves digging into the packed earth before his momentum sent his rear forward over him and he found himself tumbling roughly horns over hooves to the other side. Finally, he'd come to a stop. He stood  stumbling a few steps and shook himself, blinking a moment before looking at the bonfire before him.

"Hah...HAhaha! I did it! I made it!"

Bounding and spinning in a circle with wild glee. Gouging the dirt with his horns and jumping and kicking in triumph. Pausing abruptly as he caught the scent of burning hair.

"Ack!"

Dropping to his haunches quickly as he put out the fire that was beginning to flare on his tail, by rolling in the dirt. That didn't put a damper on his joy however; and he rushed over to the dancers, strutting proudly and excitedly in front of whoever happened to look in his direction. It was his first time jumping it after all and he wasn't one to contain himself. At least now his dancing would be intensely wholehearted. Things were definitely looking up!

Begin the dance!

Scaramouche Fandango

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »
{alt}
The bonfire here was different than the small fires that had dotted the winter market; where those burned merrily, this one raged. The solstice bonfire had a soul of its own, and it was greedily demanding from those who circled it. It roared for tinder, howled for dancing, shrieked for those daring enough to leap over it. Was this year her year to take the leap of faith? She thought not, for the mingled pounding of drums and hooves was far too enticing. The dance had begun, though who had began it was unknowable, and she felt it in her bones that she needed to take her place in it. With a nod to the drummers, Hedgewitch entered the dance. Gone was the chill of the early morning; the heat of the fire supplemented by the closeness of the bodies surrounding it was oppressive. Away from the fire, the chill was tangible; there was no in-between. You were either too hot or too cold, and for a night like tonight, for a dance like this dance, heat was the only real option. They were celebrating the sun, after all. It wasn’t like the sun wanted cold fish.

It wasn’t an elegant dance. There was little elegance in the primacy of flame, and while perhaps a small torch could put forth an elegant light, the furious fire couldn’t be tamed by any suggestion of aestheticism. it was entirely a beast of its own design, and as it called to the dancers, she found a place in the circle. The stark interplay of shadow and firelight lit everyone with a maddened scarlet glow, and the frenzy of the dance put a shine in everyone’s eyes. She felt her carefully-piled mane come undone, and she shook out her hair with wild abandon. There was nothing prim nor proper about this dance; it was at its core a celebration of making it, of being alive for one more year, of seeing through to one more sunrise- there was no time for decorum when there was so much living to do!

She didn’t know how long she danced. When she looked up at the sky, sparks from the fire had mingled with the stars and the smoke had created a haze that shadowed even the moon. Time was immaterial here, and she flung herself back into the rhythm until her body could physical take no more. Her hooves slipped beneath her as she stumbled away, feet askew and not landing where she wanted them.

The exhaustion she felt was dizzying- it gave way to something almost akin to euphoria, where she felt lighter and lighter, spinning into the smoke and drifting off like the cinders. Her head felt completely weightless, and she wanted to laugh and cry all at once. Brain a-spin with the whirl of the dance, she swayed for a moment before sinking gracelessly to her stomach. She was dimly aware of someone gently feeding her water from a turtle shell; her mental energies were spent alongside her physical vigor, and it would be some time before she felt the energy to dance like that again.

Begin the dance!

Baneful

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
{alt}

It had been a very, very long journey for Cox and the firebearers from the nearest land with a fire salamander on to the bonfire. Every year it took a lot of organisation with a relay that travelled with fire held in their jaws all the way home to the fairy court’s lands. It was of paramount importance to retrieve the fire, failure considered the most dire portent for the year ahead and resulting in the stagnation of spirits. This year he’d been successful and basked in the radiance of the bonfire that reached up to lick at the stars, driving back the snow into fleeting puddles. He was proud and had the additional pride this year of being the departing sun king, dressed in vibrant red and gold regalia that made the already enormous kio look even larger.

While Cox danced, he moved through the dancers, admiring each in turn. There were many new faces around and it was always one of the most exciting parts of the season, getting to meet kin from far and wide.

The kimeti who was close to the shadows, almost impossible to make out had strange fins and dark colours, an unseelie appearance if ever he saw one! But all were welcome here, and it was a delight to find strangers. He didn’t bother him for he looked lost in thought, and he wondered what he thought of the fire he’d brought.

Another kin caught his eye and this time it was a merry pink acha who moved with the careful uncertainty of one who was almost certainly blind. He remembered the twins and remembered how wee had navigated the world with care and attention. Cox couldn’t help but be impressed by how bold the acha was to toss sticks to the fire and boomed with merry laughter as he approved of his work.

“Wonderful work friend.” He said, giving follow a friendly slap to the rump with his draped tail. “Sun King’s blessings on you for the year ahead!”

Honeyglow’s impressive jump did not go unnoticed and Cox drummed the ground with big broad hooves in approval as she landed. “A fantastic jump!” he called. “What a fortunate year you will have! The fire’s blessing is a worthy one.”

Song also like the others received Cox’s admiration, firstly for his bright colours, and secondly for how interesting he found the other Kio’s curious meandering towards the fire. So many saw new and exciting things in the flames, but equally few would tell of the wonders they saw therin. He could only wonder what drew the kio forward and then sent him back so hurriedly once again.

In Excess of Chaos was truly fascinating to him, a strangely sensual creature, he watched her weave through the crowd, almost in a dreamy haze, moving this way and that through the dancers and drummers, eagerly throwing herself into the fray, riding on high wings provided by nature’s fruitful bounty.

As she moved to leave the firelight he smiled and turned back to the others, approving of indulgence this night in all its forms, blessed under the carnival dancing fire that shaded them all.

Watch me was enough to catch a gasp in his throat as he took up his dance, clearly one who was used to revelry and capable of carrying a rhythm. He danced without end, and Cox felt like he could have watched him for an eternity. Even his faltering and surrendering to the inevitable demands of a body of flesh and blood and bone was a delight, a re-enactment in miniature of the trajectory of a life.

Death was given a frolic of keen hooved and low bow of the head from the large kio as he moved past, respectful and admiring her dance and stamina with the others. She was so unique in her appearance that she might have been one of the historic dead risen to dance with them by the fire unbeknownst to all.

Every successful leap – and even some of the less successful singed ones – were a delight to Cox and he barked a huge laugh as Three Moons cleared the flames, as tradition giving him a swat on the rump with his tail, tied with birch branches. “Blessings of the sun king upon you my dear friend, and a prosperous year ahead! A little bit of fire in the tail is merely a gift from the king.”

As the night played on, those who pushed themselves to the brink of exhaustion were honoured most highly with blessings from the resident sun king in his last night in office, some blessed with smears of ash or strikings of birch. Hedgewitch as she sipped water in the quiet shade of recovery was left a gift of a rare and vibrant red flower, dried and preserved by the heat of the flames.

"Exhaustion brings us closest to the veil." the feathered kin said quietly by her, before flitting off again back into the dancing throng.

@Blinded By Silence   @Lirilei  @Dawns_Stars145  @Izaeah  @WargazmMonkey  @Ruriska  @FrostyPeaches  @Ravenous13  @Scaramouche Fandango
No pressure to reply, just a nod from Cox to each of you, sorry for so many pings!

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 05:19:49 AM »
Blinking in surprise at first but then immediately brightening yet more -if that was even possible- once he was swatted on the rump by Cox. Three moons did a little child-like happy dance as he was blessed; a gleeful chuckle escaping him.

"Thank you! Thank you! Ehehe!"

Throwing himself into a very intense hop and spin and running in circles before finally coming to a stop as he tripped over his own hooves and ended up sprawled on the ground panting for air. He wasn't entirely sure what had happend but he was very sure that he was the happiest that he'd been all year.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 02:18:52 AM »
Rolled 1d10 : 10, total 10
who is the lamb and who is the knife

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 02:33:44 AM »
{alt}
Keeper only smiled when others tried to cajole him into leaping over the fire. He was not ready, not yet--and besides, he had his hooves full with his first set of grandchildren. Fertility was the last thing on his mind.

"What about you, Traitor?" Keeper raised his brows suggestively. "I seem to recall you and a certain someone at the market..." The fire burned colors to nothing, leaving only the blazing orange and the black shadows it cast; even so, he could make out Traitor's blush.

Keeper thought the response was due more to shyness than adversity; he remembered his own courtship, so long ago, and the four left feet he'd had. Well, perhaps he could convince the buck to give it a try later; for now, there was only the heat and the dance.

Begin the dance!